Copper wire in magnetic field

In summary, the piece of stiff copper wire suspended between the jaws of a u-shaped magnet and dipping into a pool of mercury will move towards the north pole due to the right hand rule, as the mercury acts as a conductor allowing for the completion of the circuit. The direction of the current flow and the B-field determines the direction of the force acting on the wire.
Ry122
mercury.jpg

A piece of stiff copper wire hangs from a metal between the jaws of a u-shaped magnet and its free end dips into a pool of mercury. Mercury is connected to a positive terminal.
piece of stiff wire will move:
A towards the south pole
B towards the north pole
C to the right towards the support
D to the left towards the power supply
If someone can just tell me what the mercury does i should be right.
I'm assuming it would go to either the north or south pole.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mercury just acts as a liquid conductor which allows the copper wire to move.
Ry122 said:
I'm assuming it would go to either the north or south pole.
Try the right hand rule again.

B lines are going from N to S of the magnet, that means they are perpendicular to the flow of electrons. So, yea you need to use the right hand rule. Find the direction in which the wire would move

Well, you know that your current is either flowing up or down (depending on how you've set up the battery). The mercury, as 'Four' stated, is a conductor and will allow for the completion of the circuit. Knowing that the B-Field (magnetic field) is traveling from North to South, use that nifty right hand rule to find the force acting on the current carrying wire. This rule corresponds with the equation F=b.I.l, where force is the direction of your palm, the B-Field is the direction of your fingers and I, current, is the way in which your thumb is pointing.

according to your diagram, the current does not flow either up or down, it flows in olnly one of those directions (look at where the + and - are)
then use the right hand rule

What is the relationship between copper wire and magnetic field?

Copper wire and magnetic field have a strong relationship, as copper is a highly conductive material and can easily conduct electricity in the presence of a magnetic field.

How does copper wire behave in a magnetic field?

Copper wire experiences a force when placed in a magnetic field, known as the Lorentz force. This force causes the wire to move or rotate, depending on the direction of the current and the orientation of the wire in the magnetic field.

What happens when a current flows through a copper wire in a magnetic field?

When a current flows through a copper wire in a magnetic field, the wire experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges in the wire. This force can cause the wire to move or rotate, and can also generate heat in the wire.

Why is copper commonly used in electrical wires?

Copper is a highly conductive metal, meaning it allows electricity to flow through it easily. It is also relatively inexpensive and abundant, making it a popular choice for use in electrical wiring and other applications.

Can copper wire be used to generate electricity in a magnetic field?

Yes, copper wire can be used to generate electricity in a magnetic field through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a conductive material, such as copper wire, is moved through a magnetic field, it causes a current to flow in the wire, generating electricity.