What is causing the copper wire to not conduct in my inductor coil?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a non-conducting inductor coil made from a piece of insulated copper wire. The speaker's first suggestion is that there may be an insulating coating on the wire, and advises to sand it to check for a color change. Another participant confirms this, stating that the wire likely has an enamel coating.
nst.john
I am making an inductor coil out of wire that I removed from a piece of insulated copper wire. The inductor didn't conduct and I checked the conductivity of the coil alone via a multimeter and it didn't conduct any electricity and it is a copper wire so I need to know what is going on here! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
My first guess would be that there is an insulating coating on the wire. Try to sand it a bit. If the color changes to a bright copper, then there is a coating.

.Scott said:
My first guess would be that there is an insulating coating on the wire. Try to sand it a bit. If the color changes to a bright copper, then there is a coating.
yup, probably got an enamel coating

1. Why is copper wire not conducting electricity?

Copper is a highly conductive metal and is commonly used in electrical wiring. However, if the copper wire is not conducting electricity, it could be due to a number of reasons. One possibility is that there is a break or damage in the wire that is preventing the flow of electricity. Another possibility is that the wire is not properly connected to the circuit, causing a disruption in the flow of electricity.

2. Can copper wire lose its ability to conduct electricity?

Copper wire does not lose its ability to conduct electricity unless it is damaged or corroded. Copper is a very stable metal and does not easily oxidize, so it maintains its conductivity over time. However, if the wire is exposed to certain chemicals or extreme temperatures, it can become damaged and lose its ability to conduct electricity.

3. How can I test if copper wire is conducting electricity?

There are several ways to test if copper wire is conducting electricity. One method is to use a multimeter, which measures the resistance of the wire. If the resistance is very low, then the wire is conducting electricity. Another method is to use a battery and a light bulb. Connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the light bulb. If the light bulb lights up, then the wire is conducting electricity.

4. Is it possible to fix copper wire that is not conducting electricity?

If the issue is a break or damage in the wire, it may be possible to fix it by splicing the wire back together or replacing the damaged section. However, if the wire is not properly connected or there is a larger issue with the circuit, it may be necessary to consult a professional electrician to properly fix the problem.

5. What are some common reasons for copper wire to stop conducting electricity?

Aside from physical damage, there are a few common reasons for copper wire to stop conducting electricity. These include corrosion, exposure to extreme temperatures, and improper installation or connections. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical wiring to ensure proper conductivity and safety.