How Long Can Copper Wire Be in a Data Center to Limit Voltage Drop to 1V?

In summary, the data center has 100,000 CPUs that each draw 0.83A of current at 120V. To maintain a voltage drop of no more than 1V, the maximum length of copper wire on the power supply would be determined by the equation L = (1V * A)/(83000A * 1.7E-8), where A is the cross-section area of the wire. The total current draw is 83 kA.
cmathis

Homework Statement

Your data center has 100,000 CPUs. Each burns 100 W at 120 V. Copper has a resistivity of 1.7E-8 Ω*m. What is the maximum length of copper wire on the power supply to give a voltage drop of no more than 1V?

Homework Equations

P = V*I
R = (rho*L)/A, where L is the length of the wire, A is the cross-section area
V= I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

Each CPU burns 100W at 120V, therefore each draws 100W/120V = 0.83A current. 0.83A * 100,000 = 83 kA total draw. Is this right? That is a MONSTROUS amount of current.

The answer to the question would be:

V = I*R

1V = 83000A * (1.7E-8 * L)/A

L = (1V * A)/(83000A * 1.7E-8)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but the wire's length will depend on the wire's diameter.

I know. I left that variable as "A" in the answer (cross section area) because it wasn't given to me in the problem. The rest of the work looks fine though?

cmathis said:

Homework Statement

Your data center has 100,000 CPUs. Each burns 100 W at 120 V. Copper has a resistivity of 1.7E-8 Ω*m. What is the maximum length of copper wire on the power supply to give a voltage drop of no more than 1V?

Homework Equations

P = V*I
R = (rho*L)/A, where L is the length of the wire, A is the cross-section area
V= I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

Each CPU burns 100W at 120V, therefore each draws 100W/120V = 0.83A current. 0.83A * 100,000 = 83 kA total draw. Is this right? That is a MONSTROUS amount of current.
Yes, it's right!
The answer to the question would be:

V = I*R

1V = 83000A * (1.7E-8 * L)/A
L = (1V * A)/(83000A * 1.7E-8)

Good! I got confused between A = area and A = ampers there for a minute.

= 69444.44 meters

Therefore, the maximum length of copper wire on the power supply would be 69444.44 meters to maintain a voltage drop of no more than 1V.

What is Copper Wire Voltage Drop?

Copper Wire Voltage Drop is the decrease in electrical potential that occurs when current flows through a copper wire. This phenomenon is caused by the resistance of the wire, which converts some of the electrical energy into heat.

Why is Copper Wire Voltage Drop important?

Copper Wire Voltage Drop is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical systems. The more voltage drop that occurs, the less voltage is available for devices to operate, which can lead to issues such as dimming lights or overheating appliances.

What factors influence Copper Wire Voltage Drop?

The main factors that influence Copper Wire Voltage Drop are the length and thickness of the wire, as well as the amount of current flowing through it. Longer wires and higher currents will result in a greater voltage drop.

How can Copper Wire Voltage Drop be calculated?

Copper Wire Voltage Drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance of the wire. There are also online calculators and tables available that can help determine the voltage drop for specific wire sizes and lengths.

How can Copper Wire Voltage Drop be reduced?

Copper Wire Voltage Drop can be reduced by using thicker wires, shorter wire lengths, and minimizing the amount of current flowing through the wire. It is also important to use high-quality copper wire with low resistance to minimize voltage drop.