Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copying DVD

1. Feb 22, 2004 #1
    Yes, I know what you're thinking, "It's illegal."

It is however positively for my own use.

Plus, I spent bundles on this DVD-RW. I plan on using it.

Unfortunately the DVD I want to copy is "protected." Is there anyway I can still copy it? I'm not going to sell it or anything, I just want to test my DVD-RW.

I'm using RECORDNOW! Which came with Windows XP.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

Try finding some software called DVD X Copy.

Here company's site:

Unfortunetly, a recent court judgement ruled the software illegal, but the company is in the process of trying to get that ruling overturned. I think it is perfectly legal to make backups of your own media.
  4. Feb 22, 2004 #3
    I'm a Canadian citizen. I don't think those laws apply to me.

I tried http://www.doom9.org.

There instructions were horribly written. I encrypted the movie to my HD. Then I found out at the end that I was suppose to change the mode to IHO (or something like that), as opposed to the default (file).

Cheez, that's why I dislike most online guides/tutorials. Most of the writers have no idea what they are doing skipping steps, or making it unclear for newbies like me.

I just checked the site. The software costs $149? Is there any free software out there?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  5. Feb 23, 2004 #4
    Yes there's a free software. It's pretty good and it works. This is a similar program that DVD X copy charges you for $150+

You will need to decrypt the files before you can do anything. So have at least 10 gb of free hard drive space for one movie.
    You can get the programs DVD Decrypt and DVD Shrink from the link provided. Just make sure to read the instructions carefully.

Link Here
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?