Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copyrights on Feyman lectures and similar works

1. Dec 16, 2003 #1
    I know this is a touchy subject these days.. but:

What are the specific rules for the distribution of the audio files and pdf encoded notes from the lectures of Feyman, Segal, Hawkings...etc. I came across a huge collection of these on the net (in the thousands) and was just wondering if I will get the electric chair for having anything to do with them.

They all seem to be taped course lectures rather than production quality releases. I'm almost certain that many of the professors on the list never sold commercial versions of these lectures.

btw. I googled with no success.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2003 #2
    I have seen the audio lectures on kazaa, i'd say it's a grey area and I would be hesitant to cross it out of respect. But don't worry, no secret police will get you for downloading the lectures. I doubt the recording industry even cares lol.

4. Dec 16, 2003 #3
    Taken into consideration Greg. I felt bad posting something that I thought was off topic in many respects.

I am posting because I have recently seen a MASSIVE flood of these on the newsgroups, paricularly in the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.spoken-word group. They seem to be complete and impecably organized. It's too tempting to resist creating my own archive of these great works. I'm at 10 gigs and counting. If anything I can always listen in jail.:frown:

5. Dec 16, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a copy of the Feynman audio lectures. They are, in fact, recorded classroom lectures. They're also sold on audio cassette (ugh!) for something rediculous like $10 an hour. It would literally cost something like $2,000 to own a legitimate copy of all of these recordings -- and that's just too absurd for me to even consider paying.

My copy of the Feynman lectures is only about 1.2 GB though -- how much other stuff have you downloaded?

Keep in mind that some organizations like MIT's open courseware are working on providing educational materials of even higher quality free of charge.

I say take 'em. You're protected under fair use copyright laws anyway, and the (heroic) guy's dead.

- Warren

6. Dec 16, 2003 #5

7. Dec 16, 2003 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did. I saw nothing else related to physics.

- Warren

8. Dec 16, 2003 #7
    http://www.easynews.com

somethings wrong then.. I see 173 just in whats left.. are you using the http intreface? search for physics in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.spoken-word

A SMALL sample of the headers I am reading now.

copy text
    Feynman Flood Info "Feynman Physics Lectures posting info.txt" yEnc (*/1)
    20.2 days 32 K TrumpetMan@news.astraweb.com (TrumpetMan) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 28 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35b - Graeme Segal, Notes on Symplectic Manifolds and Quantization (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/4)
    21.3 days 2.2 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 27 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35a - Graeme Segal, Notes on Quantum Field Theory (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/4)
    21.3 days 1.9 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 26 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory V (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
    21.3 days 356 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 25 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory V (1999-07-30).mp3" yEnc (*/27)
    21.3 days 16.6 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 24 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S34 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory IV (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
    21.3 days 238 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 23 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S34 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory IV (1999-07-29).mp3" yEnc (*/26)
    21.3 days 16.2 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 22 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S33 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory III (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
    21.3 days 352 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 21 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S33 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory III (1999-07-28).mp3" yEnc (*/26)
    21.3 days 15.9 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 20 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S32 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory II (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
    21.3 days 318 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 19 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S32 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory II (1999-07-27).mp3" yEnc (*/29)
    21.3 days 17.5 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 18 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory I (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
    21.3 days 271 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 17 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory I (1999-07-26).mp3" yEnc (*/27)
    21.3 days 16.5 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 16 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S30 - Robert Wald, Some Lessons from Recent Progress in Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/5)
    21.3 days 3.0 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 15 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S30 - Robert Wald, Some Lessons from Recent Progress in Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime (2003-10-20).mp3" yEnc (*/19)
    21.3 days 11.6 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 11 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S28 - Daniel Styer, Nine formulations of quantum mechanics (2003-07-22).mp3" yEnc (*/12)
    22.3 days 7.1 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 10 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S27 - Abhay Ashtekar, Quantum Mechanics as a Special Case of Classical Mechanics (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/2)
    22.3 days 726 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
    (SFL Various Fill Requests) 09 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S27 - Abhay Ashtekar, Quantum Mechanics as a Special Case of Classical Mechanics (1999-06-04).mp3" yEnc (*/29)

9. Dec 16, 2003 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use easynews. I didn't find anything else related to physics. Can you stop speaking in riddles, please, and tell me what else you expect me to find?

- Warren

10. Dec 16, 2003 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's nowhere near 10GB of material.

- Warren

11. Dec 16, 2003 #10
    bejeezus

12. Dec 16, 2003 #11
    I said "I" am up o 10 gigs. Infer as you will. Follow the group regularly and you may get the same results. bejeezus. Did I say explicitly that there are 10 gigs available for your immediate download?? get hwat you can.... Or not!!

13. Dec 16, 2003 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bah, I've had enough.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?