Calculating Tension in Suspended Cords for a 10kg Mass | Diagram Included

• Thread starter xCanx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, two cords with angles of 30 and 45 degrees are used to suspend a 10 kg mass from a ceiling. Using the sine function, the tension in each cord can be determined. The horizontal and vertical forces must be balanced for the object to be in equilibrium. By solving for the magnitude of each tension, the correct values can be found.
xCanx
A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a ceiling by two cords that make angles of 30 and 45 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in each of the cords.

This is how I set up my diagram.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1941/66920817mh7.th.jpg [Broken]

I used the sine to try to find t1, but it doesn't work. I put the dotted line as 98N is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
xCanx said:
A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a ceiling by two cords that make angles of 30 and 45 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in each of the cords.

I used the sine to try to find t1, but it doesn't work. I put the dotted line as 98N is that right?

The 98N will act from the weight down. It is in equilibrium. And there different contributions to supporting the 98N from each wire in the downward direction.

But ... there are also horizontal forces and they balance as well at the point attached to the weight. It is the vector sum of the horizontal and vertical forces - distributed in each wire that determines T in each wire.

can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? cause I understand that the object is in equilibrium.

xCanx said:
can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? cause I understand that the object is in equilibrium.

Sorry. I haven't seen your work. I only see your diagram.

Sine of T1 is only one component of the force acting along the line of T1.

Likewise for T2. Both x components are in equilibrium (it's not moving) as are both y components in equilibrium with the 98N down.

Solve then for the magnitude of each T.

i got it Thank you.

1. What is cord tension?

Cord tension refers to the amount of force applied to a cord or string, such as in a musical instrument or a pulley system.

2. How is cord tension measured?

Cord tension can be measured using a tension meter, which measures the amount of force being applied to the cord. It can also be calculated using the formula T = F*L, where T is the tension, F is the force, and L is the length of the cord.

3. Why is cord tension important?

Cord tension is important because it affects the performance and durability of the cord. If the tension is too low, the cord may not produce the desired sound or may not be able to support heavy loads. If the tension is too high, the cord may break or wear out quickly.

4. How can cord tension be adjusted?

Cord tension can be adjusted by either changing the force applied to the cord or by changing the length of the cord. This can be done manually by tightening or loosening the cord, or using tools such as a tension wrench or a tuning key.

5. What are some factors that can affect cord tension?

The material and thickness of the cord, as well as the temperature and humidity, can affect cord tension. The type of knot used and the way the cord is wound or tied can also impact the tension. External forces, such as weight or tension from other cords, can also affect the tension of a cord.