1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cord Tension question

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a ceiling by two cords that make angles of 30 and 45 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in each of the cords.

This is how I set up my diagram.

I used the sine to try to find t1, but it doesn't work. I put the dotted line as 98N is that right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The 98N will act from the weight down. It is in equilibrium. And there different contributions to supporting the 98N from each wire in the downward direction.

But ... there are also horizontal forces and they balance as well at the point attached to the weight. It is the vector sum of the horizontal and vertical forces - distributed in each wire that determines T in each wire.
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? cause I understand that the object is in equilibrium.
  5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Sorry. I haven't seen your work. I only see your diagram.

Sine of T1 is only one component of the force acting along the line of T1.

Likewise for T2. Both x components are in equilibrium (it's not moving) as are both y components in equilibrium with the 98N down.

Solve then for the magnitude of each T.
  6. Sep 10, 2008 #5
    i got it Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?