What Is the Acceleration of a Cord Wrapped Around a Disk?

• Thread starter Shhtory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary: Your name]In summary, a cord is wrapped around a homogeneous disk of radius 0.5 m and mass 29 kg, with a force of 148 N pulling upwards. The acceleration of the cord can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, and is found to be 14.6 m/s^2 upwards.
Shhtory
A cord is wrapped around a homogeneous disk of radius r = 0.5 m and mass 29 kg, as shown in Fig. 2 "Cord around disk". The cord is pulled upwards with a force T of magnitude 148 N, with gravity acting vertically downwards. Determine the acceleration of the cord, in m/s2, positive if upwards

Homework Statement

radius r = 0.5 m
mass 29 kg
force T=148 N

Homework Equations

a=(T/m)+(T/r)-g

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(148/29)+(148/0.5)-9.81
a = 291.293

Just not 100% sure about this one and if I'm on the right track, would really appreciate the help! :-p xx

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

Firstly, I would like to clarify a few things about the given information. When you say "cord around disk", I assume that the cord is wrapped around the circumference of the disk and is attached to a fixed point above the disk. Also, I assume that the disk is on a horizontal surface and is not rotating.

Now, let's look at the forces acting on the disk. We have the tension force T pulling upwards and the gravitational force mg acting downwards. Since the cord is wrapped around the disk, the tension force is also acting tangentially on the disk. This means that the net force acting on the disk is the vector sum of T and mg, which can be represented as:

Fnet = T + mg

Using Newton's second law of motion, we can write:

Fnet = ma

Substituting for Fnet, we get:

ma = T + mg

Solving for the acceleration, we get:

a = (T + mg)/m

Substituting the given values, we get:

a = (148 + 29*9.81)/29 = 14.6 m/s^2 (upwards)

Therefore, the acceleration of the cord is 14.6 m/s^2 upwards.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a cord wrapped around a disk?

A cord wrapped around a disk refers to a situation where a long, thin string or rope is wound tightly around a circular object, such as a disk or wheel.

2. What causes a cord to wrap around a disk?

There are a few possible causes for a cord to wrap around a disk. One common cause is the rotation of the disk itself, which can create a twisting force on the cord. Another cause could be external forces, such as wind or a moving object, causing the cord to become tangled around the disk.

3. How does a cord wrapped around a disk affect the disk's movement?

A cord wrapped around a disk can significantly impact the disk's movement. It can create friction and resistance, making it more difficult for the disk to rotate smoothly. In extreme cases, the cord can even cause the disk to stop moving altogether.

4. What are some potential solutions to a cord wrapped around a disk?

If the cord is simply wound tightly around the disk, carefully unwinding it in the opposite direction can usually solve the issue. However, if the cord is stuck or tangled, it may require cutting or untangling the cord to free the disk. In the future, taking precautions such as securing cords and keeping them away from rotating objects can help prevent this issue.

5. Is a cord wrapped around a disk dangerous?

In general, a cord wrapped around a disk is not inherently dangerous. However, depending on the situation and the amount of force involved, it could potentially cause injury if the cord suddenly becomes unwound or snaps. It is always important to use caution and handle cords and rotating objects with care.