1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cords and blocks

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1007030/9/yf_Figure_5_72.jpg I have to find the number of revolutions per minute at which the lower cord goes slack.

3. The attempt at a solution

I just need to be sure: What they are asking me to find is the number of revolutions, so the lower cord is still tight, but it's the limit - so if the revolutions is a teeny weeny bit smaller, it goes slack?

If I have understood it correctly, is this the number of revolutions at which the block is only affected by the upper cord, and then the number of revolutions has be to bigger than that number? I hope you get me.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds to me like you understand what's being asked. At the point where the lower cord just barely goes slack, what is its tension?

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    it is zero? :-)

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4
    - I mean, the text says "... just goes slack", so it is slack and thereby zero?

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Exactly. So set up your equations, set that tension equal to zero, and turn the crank.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?