Why Does Coriolis Force Deflect Freely Falling Rocks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Coriolis force and its effect on a falling rock. The mechanics book states that a rock falling from a certain height will be deflected slightly to the east due to the Coriolis force. However, the person does not understand why, as they believe the rock should fall to the west when looking at the northern hemisphere from above. The discussion also considers a Wikipedia picture and the misunderstanding of causing the rock to spin. The conversation concludes by mentioning the presence of spam and providing an example of the Coriolis force in a 10 km tube.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
My mechanics book says that if a rock falls freely to Earth from a certain height than it will be deflected slightly to the east due to the Coriolis force. But I don't understand why. Consider the following Wikipedia picture:
Coriolis_construction.JPG

If we imagine that we're looking at the nothern hemisphere from above, than wouldn't this imply that the rock would fall to the west? The Coriolis force would be directed east but that's just the centripital force that causes the rock to spin.
What am I misunderstanding?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the picture is showing the (linear) motion of a ball across a rotating surface, as viewed from either frame, and presumably this ball did not start out stationary in the rotating frame.

For the book's scenario, the rock moves closer to the rotational axis, but was initially stationary in the rotational frame. Thus, since no tangential inertial force acts on it, it will have excessive tangential velocity for its new radius, which is to say that (in the time elapsed falling) it will have traveled further east than the ground has.

(Note that I've made some first order approximations here, you should do the exact full 3D calculation yourself, for each frame. Your bit about causing "the rock to spin" sounds like a misunderstanding.)...how long has this forum had physorg spam?

Last edited:
No ideea what that drawing is.

The Coriolis force is "virtual" but has it's applications.

Imagine a stone falling from a 10 km height. At t=0 the stone is above Point A but as the Earth rotates without being able to impart any rotation to the stone then the stone will fall in point B slightly west ( or east :D). There is no true force acting upon either stone or Earth but in a assembly the force can have consequences. Again the above stone in a 10 km tube. As the stone falls it will constantly hit (or push) the west side of the tube because of the "virtual" Coriolis force.

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is an inertial force that acts on objects in motion due to the rotation of the Earth. It is caused by the combination of the Earth's rotation and the object's velocity.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect freely falling rocks?

The Coriolis force causes freely falling rocks to deflect to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the rotation of the Earth, which causes the rocks to experience a change in their trajectory.

3. Why does the Coriolis force only affect objects moving over long distances?

The Coriolis force is dependent on the velocity of an object and the distance it travels. The longer the distance traveled, the greater the effect of the Coriolis force. For objects moving over short distances, the Coriolis force is negligible and has little impact.

4. Can the Coriolis force be observed in other systems besides Earth?

Yes, the Coriolis force can be observed in other systems besides Earth. It is observed in any system with a rotating frame of reference, such as a rotating space station or a rotating hurricane on another planet.

5. How does the Coriolis force impact weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a significant role in the formation and direction of global wind patterns. In the Northern Hemisphere, winds are deflected to the right due to the Coriolis force, while in the Southern Hemisphere they are deflected to the left. This results in the formation of large-scale weather systems, such as hurricanes and typhoons.