1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis effect and curl

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    Two quick questions. Does the Coriolis effect mean that in the northern hemisphere the curl will always have a negative value and in the southern hemisphere a postive one? Is the curl in the eye of the cyclones equal to zero?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Coriolis effect is proportional to ##-2(\vec{\omega}\times\vec{v})## where ##\vec{\omega}## is pointing up out of the North pole, along the axis of Earth's rotation. Whether this curl is positive or negative depends on the vector ##\vec{v}## and can not be generalized to "northern vs southern hemisphere" effects. However, if something (say a bullet) is moving initially along a straight line in the Northern hemisphere, its trajectory will be deflected (by the Coriolis force) in a clockwise direction, while in the Southern hemisphere the trajectory would be deflected in a counter-clock-wise direction.

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By "curl" do you mean [itex]\nabla\times[/itex] or something else?

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha! I had a brain fart and associated a cross product ##\vec{\omega}\times\vec{v}## as a curl. Now I'm not sure what the OP is asking.

6. Oct 25, 2014 #5
    Yes i meant ∇×. Sorry im not english native speaker, searched for the translation and that's the best i had.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook