1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis Effect with Friction

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    The following problem is take from Thorton and Marion's Classical Dynamics, 5th edition, p. 408, chapter 10, problem 3.

A puck of mass m on a merry-go-round (a flat rotating disk) has constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and coefficient of static friction between the puck and the disk of [tex]{\mu}_{s}[/tex].

Determine how far away from the center of the merry-go-round the hockey puck can be placed without sliding.

here's my attempt at a solution:

we want the puck to have zero velocity, so that when we integrate velocity with respect to time we get out a constant k, which is our radius from the center.

for the general case:

[tex]F = ma_{f} = m\ddot{R}_{f} + ma_{r} + m\dot{\omega} \times r + 2m\omega \times v_{r}[/tex]

the only force internal to the inertial reference frame is the friction force [tex]m\mu_{s}g[/tex]

and are solving for r for the zero velocity case and constant angular velocity, we can throw out the first two terms as well as the last:

[tex]F = m\mu_{s}g = m\dot{\omega} \times r [/tex]

which allows to say

[tex] m\mu_{s}g = mr\omega^{2} \hat{i}[/tex]

solving for r:

[tex] \frac{\mu_{s}g}{\omega^{2}} = r \hat{i}[/tex]

i feel really shaky about this result because i just dont feel confident about it because a) the thorton and marion book is too high-level and relies too heavily on mathematical formalism which b) i suck at.

any help or comments would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You have made the solution too long.

The puck will not slide as long as the static frictional force is less than or equal to the centrifugal force in the rotating frame. The maximum frictional force is k*N. So,

mw^2r = kN = kmg =>
    r = kg/w^2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?