Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis force question

1. Jan 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine that you are an observer in space (so you are in an inertial system), when the cannon (located on the equator) fires a cannonball in north direction. What does the trajectory of the cannonball look like from your perspective? Is it a straight line (that would mean that the cannonball is not affected by Earth's rotation) or something like a spiral?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that, since the only real force acting on the body is the gravitational force, the trajectory is like a spiral. I also know that no Coriolis force exists in my inertial frame of reference. Am I right?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2011 #2
    The question is not so clear for me. This is what I think-
    If you consider the earth to be an inertial frame of reference, then the trajectory of the ball would be a straight line.
    If you consider the earth to be a non-inertial frame of reference (take its rotation in account), then the trajectory of the ball would be similar to a spiral.

In both the above cases, you are in an inertial frame of reference, so there will not be any Coriolis force.

4. Jan 13, 2011 #3
    If you don't shoot the cannonball faster than escape velocity, the orbit will be an ellipse. Look up two-body problem. Of course the ellipse will intersect the surface of the earth again at some point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?