1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis Force

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parcel of air initially moves northward at a speed of 10 m/s at 45°S. After two hours, determine the new northward speed.

2. Relevant equations

Energy of a parcel= u^2+v^2

The Coriolis force accelerates a parcel such that, du/dt=fv and dv/dt=-fu
    where f=2Ωsin[itex]\varphi[/itex] [itex]\varphi[/itex] =latitude and Ω=angular velocity of earth

3. The attempt at a solution

My first question about this problem is in regards to what it is asking for. It says to find the new northward speed of the parcel, however the Coriolis force only changes direction, not speed. So I then considered that the northward component of speed would change and that must be what the question is asking for. But then I thought about how speed is a scalar, not a vector, so there would be no "northward component" of speed because there simply aren't speed vectors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

So you're just hung up on terminology? The "northward speed" means the speed in the northward direction, which is the magnitude of the northward component of the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted