1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corona, Arc, and Spark

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    There are tons of different explanation for each of them in internet. Could someone please confrim the explanation below which I gathered from different places;

If the electrical field in a fluid reaches the fluids dielectrical strenght, dielectric collapses and corona happens, but since the fluid adjust its charge distrubition so quickly, corona lasts for miliseconds only. If corona can find a way to last longer because of a source, than we call the long lasting corona as an arc. If the electrical field isn't enough to feed the corona until its last point, than the corona is finished in the fluid and we call it as a spark.

Thanks for the answers and please ask what I meant if you don't understand because of my english

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2
  4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are descriptive terms; corona means crown - you see a discharge glow all across a surface. An arc is a dfinite bright line connecting two points, though the arc may be moving on one or both surfaces. A spark is a bright point of light, perhaps a brief arc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook