Coronavirus/Time Travel Flicks

• Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of sci-fi movies involving time travel to prevent ecological disasters and save the future. One suggested movie is "A Sound of Thunder" which follows a group of time travelers trying to change the past but end up causing more damage. Other movies mentioned include "Contagion" and "Earth Abides" which both involve viral outbreaks and the collapse of civilization. However, the combination of time travel and viral catastrophe may be too complex for a two-hour film.
chirhone
I'm seeking sci-fi flicks having to do with traveling back in time to save some ecological disaster and the future.

I'm intrigued by this after reading that the ozone is healing so thinking of watching movies like this during the Lockdown.

Synopsis: In the middle of the 2020, the ozone gets so thin with holes and billions die and the future is forever bleak. Then time travel was initiated and a group traveled back in time to 2019. They need to stop the ecological disaster by letting countries go into lockdown and industries and traffic close. So the virus was planted and spread. 10 Billions humans saved in place of 50,000 deaths or sacrificed.

Any flicks similar to it? 12 Monkey is sort of but I think it is about the virus. Can you remember any flicks about saving the future and Extinction Level Event (Ecological Disasters) by going back in time and preventing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's this story and movie of the same name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

about a commercial venture to take wealthy patrons back to the time of the dinosaurs so they could have the thrill of killing one. The trick was the dinosaur would've died anyway at that same spot. However, the electric guns jam and disaster strikes, and a guest steps off the raised walkway and tramples a butterfly and time changes forever.

Travelers is one of my favorites but i couldn't see it in tv anymore. They referred to time travelers simply as Travelers #10, etc.

What are these called in other movies?

I will watch again 12 Monkeys later as I think time travelers should be experts in viruses.

To cause massive lockdown and present some ecological disaster. It has to be inflict minimal damage as compared to the human race. So children and women were spared *more* than aging people. So the virus has to target more of the aging population.

After the ecological disaster is averted. The Trackers (or Time Travelers) have to put a halt to the virus spread (by releasing the vaccine or eliminate them by some means to avoid more losses).

But I don't understand. Why can't they say fix the ozone hole directly? What technology or unhidden manipulation to the atmosphere would it take to seal the hole? What ecological disasters that can't be fixed directly but by Lockdown?

Please give more flicks for more ideas. I can only think of 12 Monkeys now. I want to watch others like it, something related to virus and time travelling.

Likes chemisttree
What would be a cool story is if the time traveler brings back a virus while trying to cure the initial one.

You probably should include an iconic car in your story...

In the movie Contagion. The virus can cause encephalitis and millions died. The virus is meant to kill.

Coronavirus is more surgical. Meant to kill many of the aging. And some young people are collateral damage. The ultimate goal seems to be worldwide Lockdown.

254 days before the Fall or Extinction Level Event. The virus is the only way to save humanity. I'm looking for flicks with such plots. What other good movies besides Contagion with worldwide virus spread? I tried to get the movie Quarantine. But it is not a virus movie. Hot zone is old.

Lockdown is boring. What virus movies with deep plots or time travel or even alien involvement intrigue you guys?

I don't think there's a market for those kinds of apocalyptic movies.

The best story I know is Earth Abides where a man on a camping trip succumbs to a virus and when he wakes up four days later no one is alive. The story goes on to describe the crumbling of civilization, the discovery of other survivors and the mission of mother nature to reclaim the Earth in the form of plagues of insects, rats, cats, ... on up the chain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

I think the combination of time travel and viral catastrophe is probably too much plot for a two hour flick. As I search I find one or the other but not both. The Seventh Seal is an apocalyptic movie where plagues come and biblical signs appear to signify the end of the world but no time travel.

https://www.thewrap.com/virus-outbreak-movies-coronavirus-hackers-seventh-seal-contagion/

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068617191/

jedishrfu said:
I don't think there's a market for those kinds of apocalyptic movies.

The best story I know is Earth Abides where a man on a camping trip succumbs to a virus and when he wakes up four days later no one is alive. The story goes on to describe the crumbling of civilization, the discovery of other survivors and the mission of mother nature to reclaim the Earth in the form of plagues of insects, rats, cats, ... on up the chain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

I think the combination of time travel and viral catastrophe is probably too much plot for a two hour flick. As I search I find one or the other but not both. The Seventh Seal is an apocalyptic movie where plagues come and biblical signs appear to signify the end of the world but no time travel.

https://www.thewrap.com/virus-outbreak-movies-coronavirus-hackers-seventh-seal-contagion/

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls068617191/

Why didn't you mention 12 monkeys? It is both a virus and time travel movie.. is it not? I'll watch it now to get the whole plot.

You did at the start of the thread so you want me to mention it again?

I couldn't find any more like it and if I did they likely would have the same plot but different circumstances and actors.

I'm sorry but there really aren't more of these time travel + virus movies around.I think this thread has run its course and so it's time to close it.

Likes Bystander

1. What is the connection between Coronavirus and time travel flicks?

The connection between Coronavirus and time travel flicks is that both deal with the concept of time and the impact it has on our lives. The Coronavirus pandemic has caused major disruptions in our daily routines and has made us question the fragility of time. Time travel flicks, on the other hand, explore the possibility of manipulating time and changing the course of events.

2. Are there any time travel flicks that specifically focus on the Coronavirus pandemic?

As of now, there are no time travel flicks that specifically focus on the Coronavirus pandemic. However, there have been some films and TV shows that have used the pandemic as a plot device, such as "Songbird" and "The Walking Dead: World Beyond".

3. How do time travel flicks portray the consequences of altering the past or future?

Time travel flicks often portray the consequences of altering the past or future as unpredictable and potentially catastrophic. This is because changing one event in time can have a ripple effect and alter the entire course of history. Some films, like "Back to the Future", show the potential for positive outcomes, while others, like "The Butterfly Effect", show the negative consequences of altering the past.

4. Can time travel flicks provide insights into the current Coronavirus pandemic?

While time travel flicks may not directly provide insights into the current Coronavirus pandemic, they can offer a unique perspective on the concept of time and how it affects our lives. These films can also serve as a form of escapism and provide a break from the current reality.

5. How has the Coronavirus pandemic affected the production of time travel flicks?

The Coronavirus pandemic has greatly affected the production of time travel flicks, as it has halted or delayed filming for many projects. This has resulted in delays for the release of some films and TV shows, as well as changes in production schedules and budgets. However, with the advancements in technology, some productions have been able to adapt and continue filming with safety measures in place.