Corpse of monk in lotus position; Died 1723

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
HANOI (AFP) - The corpse of a Buddhist monk sitting in a lotus position has been uncovered in a pagoda in northern Vietnam over 280 years after he died, a museum official said.
The body of the monk, Nhu Tri, who died in 1723 in a tower at the Tieu Pagoda in Bac Ninh province, was covered in a layer of special preservative paint.

His internal organs remained intact but one eye socket was damaged and his arms were broken off at the elbow, according to Nguyen Duy Nhat, deputy director of the Bac Ninh Museum.

The corpse was first discovered around 30 years ago during the Vietnam War but local authorities were not in a position to preserve it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/vietnam_archaeology_monk [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wow, did you also hear about the monk who mummified himself in a lotus position? I saw that on Discovery channel once, where two mummy experts examined the body sitting at a shrine, and talked to his son. Apparently he spent weeks sitting in that position, not drinking and not eating. Apparently he drank very salty water just before he died, effectively dehydrating even more, thus allowing preservation.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I will likely be found one day in the Dell position; preserved with coffee.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hahaha

Buddhism

The Buddhist Monks of Vietnam have always impressed me with their spirituality and KNOWLEDGE. Our society would be wise not to consider their WAY as having little to offer.

The cover of the classic Rage Against The Machine album. I have it on my wall.
Love those Monks self-immolating (in protest against the Vietnam War).
Man, that is FAITH.