1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correct Interpretation of Simple Expression ?

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1

uart

Science Advisor

[tex] (3p^2 q)^3 \div 9 p q^2 [/tex]

The above is a simple algebra expression. The question concerns the correct interpretation of the divisor in the above example. Strictly speaking I would have thought that only “9” is the divisor here and if you wanted the whole “9pq^2” as the divisor then you should put it in parentheses. But it appears many people interpret the whole “9pq^2” as the divisor even without parentheses.

Strictly speaking, which is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I saw this, I understood the denominator as 9pq^2. If I wanted only 9 in the denominator, I would use brackets to avoid confusion.

Strictly speaking, I think the convention is to group terms that are separated by [tex] \div [/tex] and then group terms separatied by *. If this is correct, then only the 9 belongs in the denominator. However, in this example the use of * is elliptic (implied, 9*p*q*q) and hence causes more confusion, and gives more room for misinterpretation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?