Are These Sentences Correct for My Thesis?

• Thread starter n0_3sc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: I'll be hearing your voice in my head (in a good way) when I'm writing and I'll be all like "Today's lesson is..." :rofl:In summary, the correct sentences are:1) "...increasing a sample's length..."2) "...having known a standardized sample's cross-section..."3) "...signals defining a molecule's characteristics..."
n0_3sc
I am being paranoid about my english, which of the following sentences are correct?

1)
"...increasing a samples length..." OR
"...increasing a sample's length..."

2)
"...having known a standardized samples cross-section..." OR
"...having known a standardized sample's cross-section..."

3)
"...signals defining a molecules characteristics..." OR
"...signals defining a molecule's characteristics..."

Anyone with the right answer will go on the acknowledgments page of my thesis! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org

The second case appears correct for each of these.

All are 's you use this when it belongs to something

mgb_phys said:
All are 's you use this when it belongs to something
What about words' plural ?
So what about
n0_3sc said:
acknowledgments' page
Am I overdoing it ?

BTW, it's "please", not "prease" :tongue2:

humanino said:
BTW, it's "please", not "prease" :tongue2:

It's also "english" not "engrish" :rolleyes:

So when would you use "equations" compared to "equation's"?

eg. "...Maxwell's equations..." or "...Maxwell's equation's...".
(I guess that implies the equations "belong" to Maxwell right?).

humanino said:
So, can I be on the acknowredgments' page !? :uhh:

AHAHA :rofl:

...no.

Also why are you putting an apostraphe after "acknowredgments"? I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. You could say "acknowredgments' pages" I think?

n0_3sc said:
Also why are you putting an apostraphe after "acknowredgments"? I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. You could say "acknowredgments' pages" I think?
Because that's the way we would translate french, literally. We would say that the page "belongs to" the acknowredgments, as we would certainly use "Maxwell's equations". Yet I do not think these forms are commonly used in english.

Let's wait for english speakers' valuable advices !

I can correct your french if you want though :cry:

You spelt standardised wrong!

cristo said:

Standardize = american spelling.

n0_3sc said:
Standardize = american spelling.

Exactly. I thought you wanted your English corrected? :uhh:

All about apostrophes:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I've come down with a bit of apostropheitis from nowhere recently. There must be something going round.

cristo said:
And it's "spelled" not "spelt", American English is the correct English. :tongue2:

Spelt is an ancestor to wheat.

Oooh, there's going to be trouble.

Math Is Hard said:
All about apostrophes:

Thank you MIH. I've always been confused about apostrophes. Except for of course, the trivially obvious ones listed above, and on the previously non-mentioned previous page. :smile:

I am a recovering apostrophe abuser. I donate regularly to the http://www.apostrophe.org.uk" .

n0_3sc said:
I am being paranoid about my english, which of the following sentences are correct?

1)

2)

3)

Anyone with the right answer will go on the acknowledgments page of my thesis! :biggrin:
Hair splitting time!

While it has already been stated that the second example of each of these is the more correct one, they are not the best choice for what you want to say.

I would prefer to read
1)...increasing the length of a sample...
2)...having known the cross-section of a standardized sample...
3)...signals defining the characteristics of a molecule...

Although the rule is old (arcane, in fact), the apostrophe s is a contraction of "his"; "John's Pony" is a contraction of "John, his pony." By it's original nature, the apostrophe s lends to a personification of the noun and its application to inanimate objects and intangible concepts should be limited, especially in a formal report (where most contractions should be avoided in general).

But sometimes, when the time is right, you simply have to break the rule's fingers.

Thanks for that Chi. Instead of debating these contractions, I should've been avoiding them from the start. And you're right, your versions sound more formal. :approve:

I think some serious review is required on my part...

Argh!

I messed up in another thread:

drinking piña colada's,

Does one have to follow the english rue, if one is borrowing from another language?

n0_3sc said:
So when would you use "equations" compared to "equation's"?
The former spelling is used to indicate the plural noun.
Example: All of these equations are unnecessarily long.

The latter is used when referring to something belonging to the equation.
Example: This equation's length is excessive. (the 'length' belongs to the 'equation')

eg. "...Maxwell's equations..." or "...Maxwell's equation's...".
(I guess that implies the equations "belong" to Maxwell right?).
The first one is correct. That the equations - note the plural - belong to Maxwell is taken care of by the apostrophe in Maxwell's. The thing that possesses takes on the apostrophe, not the thing that is possessed.

Ok now I have an easier question. Is it:

"...thus, the development of robust and simple sources is being actively investigated." OR

"...thus, the development of robust and simple sources are being actively investigated."

n0_3sc said:

"...thus, the development of robust and simple sources is being actively investigated."

This is correct.

n0_3sc said:

1)

2)

3)

Basic (if there is any such thing) rules about the use of apostrophes in English.

Never throw them in if not needed.
In technical writing, they are generally used only in the possessive sense.
When using them on plural nouns, use them after the plural "s".

That will get you by most of the time. English is a crap language, so NEVER accept any grammarian guidelines (especially mine). Have a nice day.

turbo-1 said:
...English is a crap language, so NEVER accept any grammarian guidelines...

That's true, but we write and speak it and it pays to get it right for something as formal as a thesis.

Oh and thanks cristo.

n0_3sc said:
Oh and thanks cristo.

No worries. Of course, one could argue that the adverb is moot in the phrase "actively investigated," since I'm not aware that it is possible to investigate something passively!

n0_3sc said:

"...thus, the development of robust and simple sources is being actively investigated." OR

"...thus, the development of robust and simple sources are being actively investigated."
Ask yourself what is being investigated. Is the development (singular) being investigated or are the sources (plural) being investigated?

Math Is Hard said:
All about apostrophes:

Yay Purdue! My alma mata comes through again.. :approve:

Yes the x's (or xs' for plural x) are called 'genitive' or 'possessive' meaning 'of x' or 'belonging to x' and are quite similar to 'x no' in Japanese.

But as Chi meson says when the subject especially an impersonal one becomes at all complicated it is better and more natural for us to use the 'of' construction. E.g. "Schrodinger's idea" but "the ideas of the founders of quantum mechanics" - you could just do the first the other way, but not the second.[There are other uses of 's just to represent an unpronounced vowel as in "it's" meaning "it is" etc., but not so common in written formal English.]

Last edited:

English in school would've been more exciting had they spent more time teaching what's been said in this thread. It feels as if they just touched on the basics.
I've learned more here than studying Shakespeare or poetry...:smile:

n0_3sc said:
English in school would've been more exciting had they spent more time teaching what's been said in this thread. It feels as if they just touched on the basics.
I've learned more here than studying Shakespeare or poetry...:smile:

But when it comes the time ere thesis due
and thru' the twilight hours do strike thine keys
You will have Shakespeare's lofty crown on you
with idiom fine as molecular breeze.

and that's all that matters. Because science departments just love iambic pentameter.

You reminded me

:devil:
'For your Professor pray prepare
no paragraph Sir overlook!
And soon you will become aware
He never deviates from the book
But write it down Sir, every bit!
As though the Holy Ghost dictated it!'

^^ oh crap, what have I done! :eek:

epenguin said:
You reminded me

:devil:
'For your Professor pray prepare
no paragraph Sir overlook!
And soon you will become aware
He never deviates from the book
But write it down Sir, every bit!
As though the Holy Ghost dictated it!'
Quadrameter is for sissies!

1. What should I do if I'm unsure about the correctness of my thesis sentences?

If you are unsure about the correctness of your thesis sentences, you should seek feedback from your advisor or a peer. They can provide valuable insights and help you make any necessary revisions.

2. How can I ensure that my thesis sentences are grammatically correct?

To ensure that your thesis sentences are grammatically correct, you should proofread them carefully and use grammar-checking tools such as Grammarly. It is also helpful to have someone else review your sentences for any errors.

3. Are there any specific formatting guidelines for thesis sentences?

Yes, there are typically specific formatting guidelines for thesis sentences set by your institution or department. Make sure to follow these guidelines closely to ensure your sentences meet the required standards.

4. Can I use quotes or paraphrased information in my thesis sentences?

Yes, you can use quotes or paraphrased information in your thesis sentences, but make sure to properly cite the source and use quotation marks for direct quotes. It is also important to balance the use of quotes and paraphrased information with your own original ideas.

5. What should I do if my thesis sentences do not align with my research findings?

If your thesis sentences do not align with your research findings, you may need to revise them to accurately reflect your findings. It is important to ensure that your sentences accurately represent your research and support your overall thesis statement.