Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correct to say that all 5 senses are actually based on touch

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    i woke up this morning thinking that maybe all of our senses are all intereconnected at the source by touch...

i dont think "touch" is the right word to use...

my logic is:

sight: light vibrates inside your eyes and that vibration sends a signal to ur brain (so u are actually feeling it)

hearing: sounds vibrating at diff frequencies resonate inside of your ear (forget what the part is called) and that vibration is then translated into a signal

taste: food particles have a natural frequency at which they vibrate and receptors in teh tounge which have that same frequency are triggered by it and a signal is sent to the brain

smell: similar to taste

touch: same natural frequencies and receptors that react to those frequencies of vibration

i do not have much of a science background... and i had really bad teachers in HS... so someone please correct me if they see flaws in my reasoning and please tell me what is wrong and why, it would b greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2
    sight: I do not think that the light vibrates inside the eye. The light is directed through the cornea-->lens--->retina where the light hits the Red, Green and Blue rods and cones. They are receptors.

hearing: Sound waves are received at the tympanic membrane (ear drum) and then the vibration is passed on to the ossicles (middle ear bones). The last ear bone, stapes, then presses on the oval window of the cochlea. The vibrations set the fluid inside the cochlea in motion and the motion of this liquid (perilymph) runs across the hair cells on the organ of corti which are connected to the vestibulocochlear nerve. That's where the signal is sent to the brain.

taste: There are bitter, sweet, sour, and salty taste buds on different regions of the tongue. They act as receptors of certain foods. It is not a frequency of the food that gives it taste, it's the chemical composition.

smell: Someone already addressed this issue in your other thread.

You might want to investigate the anatomy and physiology of the organs involved with these senses before you draw any conclusions.

P.S. To anyone who reads my post, feel free to correct any mistakes I have made in my analysis.
  4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    *sends hate mail to his HS science teachers...lol

thanx for correcting my misinformation about all these things!

so in sight...how does the red, blue, green light get separated to the proper cone? what basis does the human eye filter on?
  5. Jan 14, 2004 #4
    AFAIK, the rods and cones are sensitive to certain wavelengths and only those wavelengths can be "seen" by that rod or cone.

The human eye is filtered to only being able to see wavelengths 400-700 nanometers long, I am not sure if that answers your question, tho.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  6. Jan 14, 2004 #5
    that does kind of answer it...

but what i am still wondering is how it "sees" those wavelengths and how it distinguishes btwn them...

only things i could think of for that would be:

1. because of the size of the wavelength... it only lets through a certain size (doesnt really make much sense to me)

2. because of the frequency of it... since a diff wavelength will cause diff frequency since speed remains constant... in this case it would b that those cones resonate to the frequency ranges of those colors.

thats all that i can think of that would involve wavelengths...but i know someone here with extensive knowledge can show me the light! hehe
  7. Jan 14, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are electrical componets that produce electricity in the presence of light of certain wavelengths. Something similar probably occurs in the eyes.
  8. Jan 18, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 18, 2004 #8
    To me, it sounds what you're trying to say, is that all our senses are to do with detecting changes in energy.

Sight: Light "energy" excites the relevant cells to send off their electrical pulses.

Hearing: Energy from the sound waves

Taste/Smell: The chemicals (flavours/scents) react with cellular chemicals, changing their energy values

Touch: Energy from movement

Replacing all your instances of "frequency" with "energy", and you get something very similar. And lucky for you, there is a formula that converts frequency into energy, so you're correct !

OK.. i have no idea
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?