Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correct use of 3-tuple ?

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    correct use of "3-tuple"?

(here I use "A" for the universal quantifier, "E" for the existential quantifier, and "e" to indicate elementhood)

My present definition for Transitivity of a relation:
    R is a transitive relation on the set B

AxeB AyeB AzeB [((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

which I shorten to:
    Ax,y,zeB[((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

But for a certain proof I need Ey rather than Ay, so I'm wondering if I can use a 3-tuple, (x,y,z), in the following way:

A(x,y,z)eB[((x,y)eR & (y,z)eR)-->(x,z)eR]

or would that mean I'd have to be using B^3??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2
    Re: correct use of "3-tuple"?

Not sure what you're asking, but transitivity is a property of R, not an operation on the x,y, and z. Thus you can't use this definition to establish the existence of y, or for that matter, x, z, or R itself.

A 3-tuple would be over [tex]B^3[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. Aug 13, 2011 #3
    Re: correct use of "3-tuple"?

Hello, EdgeOfWorld (famous last words, there!), yes, I think your original statement,

[tex](\forall x,y,z \in B) [(((x,y)\in R) \& ((y,z) \in R)) \Rightarrow ((x,z) \in R)],[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex](\forall(x,y,z)\in B^3)[(((x,y)\in R) \& ((y,z)\in R))\Rightarrow ((x,z)\in R)].[/tex]

I don't see how this relates to the existence of y, but maybe that's because you haven't told us exactly how you're going to use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook