Correct use of toilets in the UK

• Thread starter Focus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary,This conversation discusses an odd thing that was found in university toilets, and how it is useful to know the rules for using the toilet in different countries. The first rule is that different countries don't flush paper down the toilet, and the second rule is that people should wash their hands carefully.
Focus
Here is an odd thing I found in our university toilets. Now we have an instruction manual on how to use the toilet! :rolleyes:
IMAG0047.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
haha!

thats pure win! although i would love noting more than to tell someone "you're doing it wrong" while he's sitting on the pot.

Did the person that wrote that think that people use the toilet differently in other countries? Traveling outside of the US, I'm happy if I can find a toilet and not a hole in the floor. :eek:

I could tell some stories about people that stand on the toilet and the damage caused, but i might get told off.

I think rules 1 and 2 at least are pretty handy for international students. Various countries in the world do not flush paper down the toilet, and I won't tell you some of the horror stories people at my undergrad university told me about the state their international roommates left the toilets by 'squatting' on them!

cristo said:
I think rules 1 and 2 at least are pretty handy for international students. Various countries in the world do not flush paper down the toilet, and I won't tell you some of the horror stories people at my undergrad university told me about the state their international roommates left the toilets by 'squatting' on them!
I guess they think it's a raised hole in the floor? :yuck:

wolram said:
I could tell some stories about people that stand on the toilet and the damage caused, but i might get told off.

do tell.

the fly in the urinal is a BRILLIANT solution.

offtheleft said:
do tell.

To cut a long story short.

no one could understand why the staff toilet had to replaced once or even twice a month due to it being broken at the base, things came to a head when a guy had it tip over when he reached for the paper, he hit his head on the dispenser, one of the big round ones, he had to be sent home to clean up, so the incident had to be recorded in the accident book and investigated, on the day of the investigation we found huge boot prints on the seat.
I will not tell what the plumber said or who left the boot prints.

cristo said:

That's what I was thinking too, especially since it keeps emphasizing "in the UK..." That seems like the sort of sign that gets put up when someone is making a nasty mess of a bathroom and the custodial staff are tired of cleaning it.

another set of instructions ...

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1791/n37102858305708995475am1.jpg

I don't know what he is trying to do in #6

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
I don't know what he is trying to do in #6

He's wiping.

NeoDevin said:
He's wiping.

yea, I realized that. But there's no paper!/roll in the pictures

rootX said:
yea, I realized that. But there's no paper!/roll in the pictures

That's why you need to wash your hands extra carefully in Japan.

Yes, it might look strange for nationals, but they should post that sign.

In most Latin American countries, we use the standard Western toilet the same way as our US citizens and Canadian friends, except for the second rule. There's usually a small paper trashcan next to the toilet for the used toilet paper.

1. How do I use a toilet in the UK?

To use a toilet in the UK, simply sit down on the seat and do your business. Make sure to flush the toilet afterwards and wash your hands with soap and water.

2. Do I need to pay to use public toilets in the UK?

In most cases, you do not need to pay to use public toilets in the UK. However, some places such as train stations or tourist attractions may charge a small fee.

3. Are there any cultural differences in toilet etiquette in the UK?

In general, the toilet etiquette in the UK is similar to other Western countries. However, it is considered polite to leave the toilet clean after use, and to not talk loudly or make excessive noise while using public toilets.

4. Can I flush toilet paper in the UK?

Yes, you can flush toilet paper in the UK. The plumbing system is designed to handle toilet paper and it is not necessary to dispose of it in a separate bin.

5. Are there any laws or regulations regarding toilets in the UK?

The UK has laws and regulations in place to ensure proper hygiene and sanitation in public toilets. These include regular cleaning and maintenance, accessible facilities for those with disabilities, and proper disposal of waste.