Correction of horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens

In summary, horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens is an optical aberration that results in distorted or elongated images due to the horizontal and vertical planes not focusing at the same point. This can cause blurring, distortion, loss of sharpness, and reduced contrast in images. The common causes of horizontal astigmatism include manufacturing defects, misalignment of lens elements, and environmental factors. It can be corrected through proper lens design, manufacturing techniques, and alignment of lens elements, but it is difficult to completely eliminate it.
tomasg81
Hello,

I need advice which lens should I use for correction of horizontal astigmatism in anamorphics lens which contains two prisms.
Focal length which I need to be focused is about 3 meters.
I am using this prisms pair with projector. When I display grid horizontal lines are not focused, because pair of prisms cannot focus both planes together. See attachment - it is not visible but in personal yes.
I read that correction can be done by bended glass plate but I am not sure how to calculate curvature.

Thank you for help

Attachments

• IMG-0952.JPG
    IMG-0952.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 124
Science news on Phys.org
.The best way to correct horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens is to use a cylindrical lens. A cylindrical lens is a type of lens that has different curvatures in two perpendicular directions, allowing it to focus light more accurately in one direction (in this case, horizontally) than the other. This type of lens can be used to correct astigmatism in an anamorphic lens by bending the light in the desired direction and making it more focused. When choosing a cylindrical lens for your application, you will need to take into account the focal length of the anamorphic lens and the distance at which you need to focus the image. You can use a lens calculator to help you determine the right curvature and focal length for your needs.

What is horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens?

Horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens is a type of optical aberration that causes horizontal lines to appear blurred or distorted. This can occur when using an anamorphic lens to compress the horizontal field of view in order to create a widescreen image.

Why is it important to correct horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens?

Correcting horizontal astigmatism is important because it ensures that the image produced by the anamorphic lens is sharp and free of distortion. If left uncorrected, horizontal astigmatism can significantly reduce the quality of the final image.

How is horizontal astigmatism corrected in an anamorphic lens?

Horizontal astigmatism can be corrected in an anamorphic lens by using specialized optical elements, such as cylindrical lenses or prisms, to counteract the distortion caused by the lens compression. This process is known as anamorphic correction.

What are the potential drawbacks of correcting horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens?

One potential drawback of correcting horizontal astigmatism is that it can increase the complexity and cost of the lens. Additionally, the correction process may also introduce other types of optical aberrations, such as spherical aberration or chromatic aberration.

Are there any alternative methods for correcting horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens?

Yes, there are alternative methods for correcting horizontal astigmatism in an anamorphic lens. Some lenses may use digital correction techniques, such as software algorithms, to correct for astigmatism in post-production. However, these methods may not be as effective as optical correction and can also introduce other image quality issues.