Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation between the sexes

1. I am a male

31 vote(s)
    91.2%
  2. I have little fear of being raped

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  3. I have little fear of starting an unwanted pregnancy

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  4. I am a female

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. I have justifiable fear of being raped

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. I have justifiable fear of starting an unwanted pregnancy

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    I am trying to find a pattern between male and female concerns in this survey.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2
    Looks like you already have the pattern, considering the order in which you put the poll options.

edit... Unless I misunderstood your goal.

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what the objective is. I have about as much fear of being raped as of being mugged, which is to say, it isn't really something I think about. Of course I'm generally careful about paying attention to my surroundings wherever I go and such, but not to avoid being a victim of any specific crime. I'd be more worried about being killed if an attacker had a weapon. As for fear of unwanted pregnancy, I've outgrown that stage of my life. Now, even an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't be unwanted.

5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I am not very fearful of becoming impregnated

This poll is a bad poll. The creator is putting his/her own spin on the subject and telling people that all fears of being raped are justifiable and that having little fear is unjustifiable.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  6. Jan 14, 2006 #5
    yeah, i don't really get the poll... what does it show?

7. Jan 14, 2006 #6
    oh, but i have my ways... mwa ha... mwa ha.. mwa hahahaha!

silly penguin...

8. Jan 14, 2006 #7
    Well, we now know that PF is overwhelmingly male. Recall your standard deviation, the one lady until now who chose to answer is "statistically insignificant."

9. Jan 14, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*clicks the 5th and 6th option as much as possible*

10. Jan 14, 2006 #9
    Shows how slow I type. Basically, my purpose for this poll is both to show that men have much less empathy for the state of pregnancy than women, and do not associate sex with fear as much as women do - both arguments that women are violated enough without all of us guys deciding what they must do with their bodies.

11. Jan 14, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So you intentionally spun the poll to get results that you wanted. Ok. Most real polls want to discover results, not re-inforce their views.

12. Jan 14, 2006 #11
    SO its a biased poll, and therefore meaningless. You don't start a poll trying to get confirmation of a bias, you form a question and look for the answer, any answer. I would have expected better methodology from you. Of course, it was not necessary for you to say this for it to be obvious. The wording of the options makes it plain, just from the fact that the options are worded oppositely for men as they are for women.

13. Jan 15, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What, nobody's complained about the lack of an option along the lines of, "I have an irrational fear of..." or "I have a great fear of..."? I'm wondering, what's an unjustified fear of rape?

14. Jan 15, 2006 #13

I think the thing is so flawed it makes no difference. For men, the only options are little fear or no answer. What about lots of fear or no fear? For women the only choices are justifiable or no answer. They might have unjustifiable fear. Or not have any fear. Its completely useless. The statements are two part statements (having or not having fear, and a qualifier on what kind or how much), which means that there is more than one reason for not answering yes.

15. Jan 15, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why? I answered little fear. Why should I fear those things? I can do my best to prevent them, but I don't much live in fear. Men in prison might have a very justified fear of rape. And, usually when there's a possible unwanted pregnancy in question, I've known of plenty of guys who have been practically quaking in their boots while waiting for the results of the pregnancy test. It wasn't worded fear of getting pregnant, it was worded fear of starting an unwanted pregnancy. I guess you could also just choose to answer with your sex and nothing else if nothing else applies.

16. Jan 15, 2006 #15

The survey is set up, as I read it, such that, the first three are if you are male, and the last 3 are if you are female, meaning a male is not supposed to respond to 5/6 and a female is not supposed to respond to 3/4. If this is not the case, then the results are even less meaningful, because you have no correlation between gender and the answers to the other questions, since you can't see who answered what. And if this is not the case, why is the second gender question halfway through?

My point was that you cannot deduce WHY a person decided the choices did not apply to them from the fact that they only answer their gender because there are mutliple potential reasons. You cannot claim that a woman who did not respond to 3 has no fear of being raped. Perhaps she does feel her fear is unwarranted. Doesn't mean there is no fear.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  17. Jan 15, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't flawed, I just thought it was for different reasons than you did. I didn't think I was limited to only the answers underneath "I am female," and didn't use them. The order might reflect the bias inherent in the question, but the poll set-up doesn't limit you to answering that way. Obviously, people making that assumption does indicate a flaw in the poll anyway. The bigger reason is that there's no way to actually tell who answered what, so you can't tell if there's any gender difference, as you pointed out. The choices are also rather limited.

18. Jan 15, 2006 #17
    i think pf polls are generally silly when you're trying to get an idea about the general population anyway.

19. Jan 15, 2006 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I have very little fear in starting an unwanted pregnancy. As Nancy Reagan so aptly put it: "Just say NO!" :smile:

20. Jan 15, 2006 #19
    I believe my seeming disingenuousness is more caused by the restraints of PF polls (length of sentences, number of choices, PF population, etc.) than any purposeful deception. I admit that I should not have drawn a conclusion before analyzing the data, but I think most pollsters entertain that.

Please offer an example of how you would word such a survey, trying to compare the concern of men vs women over their feeling of personal security as regards pregnancy and rape, and therefore abortion. Maybe this topic is best addressed by written responses, not a poll.

21. Jan 15, 2006 #20
    Loren, don't you think that you have to make a poll option for each one, for males and females?.....

I am male and X
    I am male and Y
    I am female and X
    I am female and Y

If all the guys who visit PF were in jail right now, with access to the internet, I believe that they would be scared of rape more than most women are O_O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?