Correspond Momentum of a rigid body to rotational forces

In summary, the equation for calculating the rotational force is correct, but the sum of the individual forces may not equal the total force due to differences in the moments of inertia.
_chris_198
1. Homework Statement :
I have the momentum acting on the center of mass of a rigid body consisting of 3 bodies.
I would like to have the corresponding rotational forces (of this momentum) on the 3 bodies.

I derive the general form:

Frot_i= Inertia_i*(RixM)/Total_Inertia*(Ri)^2

where:
Inertia_i=mass_i*(RixM)^2
Total_Inertia=SUM(Inertia_i)

First calculate the vectors
Rix = xi-xc_of_mass
Riy = yi-yc_of_mass
Riz = zi-zc_of_mass

Then calculate the Ri^2:
=Rix^2 + Riy^2 + Riz^2

Then calculate the vectors Vi=(RixM):
Vix=Riy*Mz-Riz*My
Viy=Riz*Mx-Rix*Mz
Viz=Rix*My-Riy*Mx

Then calculate the scalar Si=(RixM)^2

Si=Vix^2 +Viy^2+Viz^2

Then I subtitute to the above equation and calculate the rotational forces of each of the 3 beads i in x y z component:
Frot_ix
Frot_iy
Frot_iz

When I sum up the x component of the force on the three beads I come out with a non-zero number. Shouldn't it be zero? Same is happening with y and z also.
Frot_1x+Frot_2x+Frot_3x !=0
Is the equation for calculating the rotational force correct?
I would be grateful for any reply.

cheers,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsFrot_i= Inertia_i*(RixM)/Total_Inertia*(Ri)^2The Attempt at a SolutionYes, the equation for calculating the rotational force is correct. The reason why the sum of the x components of the forces on the three beads is not zero is because the total moment of inertia of the system is not equal to the sum of the moments of inertia of the individual beads. This means that the total rotational force will not be equal to the sum of the individual rotational forces.

What is the definition of Corresponding Momentum of a rigid body?

The Corresponding Momentum of a rigid body is the measure of its motion in a straight line. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass and velocity of the object.

How is Corresponding Momentum related to rotational forces?

Corresponding Momentum is related to rotational forces through the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

What are some real-life examples of Corresponding Momentum and rotational forces?

One example is a spinning top. As the top spins, it has Corresponding Momentum in the direction of its spin, and rotational forces act to keep it upright. Another example is a figure skater performing a spinning motion, where they use their arms to apply rotational forces to change their angular momentum.

How does Corresponding Momentum affect the stability of a rigid body?

Corresponding Momentum affects the stability of a rigid body by determining its ability to resist changes in its rotational motion. A body with a higher Corresponding Momentum will be more stable and less likely to tip over.

What is the difference between linear and rotational Corresponding Momentum?

The main difference between linear and rotational Corresponding Momentum is the direction of the motion. Linear Corresponding Momentum is in a straight line, while rotational Corresponding Momentum is in a circular motion. Additionally, rotational Corresponding Momentum takes into account the moment of inertia of the object, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.