Calculating Corrosion Allowable Factor for SA516-70 Material?

• Thread starter doan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary: Yes, I can teach you the corrosion allowance for carbon steel pipes (Ca) mm. The corrosion allowance for carbon steel pipes (Ca) mm is 0.8.
doan
Dear all,
I have one question about corrosion factor. How to find it? (may be have 1 table to determine it? )
thanks!
N-Doan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Corrosion factor of what?

You're asking a very broad, yet vague question.

Sorry,
I asked about corrosion allowable factor of material, which using to design pressure vessel.
Thanks!
N-Doan

As SteamKing indicated, "I have one question about corrosion factor. How to find it?" is a very broad and vague statement.

It depends on a number of factors that go into design.

I've determined it for a very specific case/application (including a specific material with known range of yield/tensile strength), and it was derived from the maximum allowable wall thinning over the service life, in conjunction with minimum wall thickness and maximum pressure (stress) allowed. The corrosion was assumed to be uniform, so it would not apply for a case where pitting or crevice corrosion might occur.

Dear "Astronuc",
I've never see the formula contained time service of pressure tank (Service life). Could you determined for me to understand?
And I had some information. Is it correct? Can I use it to calculate wall thickness of other parts in pressure vessel?

Corrosion allowance for carbon steel pipes (Ca) mm

Superheated steam = 0.3

Saturated steam = 0.8

Steam coils in cargo tanks and liquid fuel tanks = 2.0

Feed water for boilers in open circuit systems = 1.5

Feed water for boilers in closed circuit systems = 0.5

Blow-down systems for boilers = 1.5

Compressed air = 1.0

Hydraulic oil = 0.3

Lubricating oil = 0.3

Fuel oil = 1.0

Thermal oil = 1.0

Fresh water = 0.8

Sea water = 3.0

Cargo systems for oil tankers = 2.0

Cargo systems for ships carrying liquefied gases = 0.3

Thanks,
N-Doan

Doan - your original question puts us on difficult ground before we start - corrosion and pressure vessels is a bad combination .

If the situation were absolutely unavoidable I would seek information about out what type and rate of corrosion was commonly found in the particular type of pressure vessel and work from there .

Problem is that extent , depth and rate of corrosion can be very unpredictable in a real situation . If you expect corrosion to be a problem then the only answer is overkill on thickness and a very rigorously applied schedule of inspection .

Far better to use proper pressure vessel materials which are corrosion resistant and proven to be suitable in use intended - there are many to select from .

Don't want to be unhelpful - tell us more about what you are actually doing and perhaps we can come up with better answers .

Thanks,
We have designed steam system with SA516-70 material.
and the choose corrosion allowable is very important in this case.
Could you teach to me in this case (Ca value).
N-Doan

1. What is a corrosion allowable factor?

The corrosion allowable factor is a numerical value used in engineering to determine the maximum amount of corrosion that a material can withstand before it becomes structurally compromised.

2. How is the corrosion allowable factor calculated?

The corrosion allowable factor is typically calculated using a combination of laboratory testing and theoretical models, taking into account factors such as material properties, environmental conditions, and expected service life.

3. What is the significance of the corrosion allowable factor?

The corrosion allowable factor is used to ensure the safety and integrity of structures and equipment that are exposed to corrosive environments. It helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate materials and corrosion protection measures to use in their designs.

4. Can the corrosion allowable factor change over time?

Yes, the corrosion allowable factor can change over time as the material is exposed to different environmental conditions and as it undergoes aging and wear. Regular inspections and maintenance can help monitor and adjust the corrosion allowable factor as needed.

5. Is the corrosion allowable factor the same for all materials?

No, the corrosion allowable factor varies depending on the type of material, its composition, and the specific environmental conditions it is exposed to. Different materials have different levels of resistance to corrosion, and this is reflected in their respective corrosion allowable factors.