1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corrosion Engineering?

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    My school is offering the United State's first corrosion engineering degree, and I was curious if anyone knew just how useful that degree might be. The university makes it sound rather in demand, but I'd like to get an unbiased opinion. I've already finished my first year in Chemical Engineering, and if the switch isn't worth it, I'll stay away.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2010 #2
    Hi..just sa this port after posting a thread asking a similar question. Just wondering if you had made your desicion and if you took up corrosion engineering?

I found a good website that got me interested in corrosion engineering and I think I might make the switch.

This might be of interest to you... http://www.corrconnect.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 11, 2010 #3
    seems like such a degree would be rather limiting. If you are interested in corrosion it seems like you'd be better off getting a ChemE degree and then taking some corrosion electives.

5. Oct 26, 2010 #4
    It depends on how you approach corrosion. Corrosion touches a very broad range of technologies in one way or another. Architecture, pipelines, cables, superstructures of all sorts (ships, bridges, railroads, airplanes...etc). As a corrosion engineer, I am guessing, you will have to be able to apply specific knowledge of corrosion to some sort of engineering structure. You will end up being a kind of jack of all trades to be successful. I am surprised they are offering it as an undergraduate degree. Is corrosion important, absolutely. There is no end of structures and systems in the U.S. and elsewhere which are nearing the end of their service life due to corrosion. Take the power grid as an example. I believe it was built to last 50 years. Lots of it is much older than that and power consumption just keeps going up...sheesh...if that isnt a recipe for disaster (which for an engineer spells work) I dont know what is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook