Corrosion resources

Hi all, I'm doing a project on socioeconomic implications of corrosion and prevention. Do you have any good websites where I can get information of this topic? It seems to me that it's kinda difficult to find relavent information from the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not sure if I can help with this, but I will ask one question:

Corrosion of what, specifically?

Knowing that might help.

For example iron, and I want to get more information on socioeconomic implications rather than corrosion and preventions.

Thanks

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm going to kick this over to Other Sciences to see if it gets some more action there.

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You can look at replacement costs for "infrastructure," roads, bridges, pipelines, sewer systems, dams, and the costs of catastrophic failures in such vs. maintenance. The service lives of merchant vessels vs. drydocking and rebuilding, undercoating auto bodies vs. rusting fenders falling off and filling the ditches of the Jersey tnpk, scheduled aircraft inspection and replacement of critical airframe components (particularly in marine or near marine service environments), galvanized steel vs. "un-" in farm storage buildings, warehouses, commercial structures, -----

russ_watters

Mentor
A materials science/engineering textbook would be a good resource. In one of my classes they mentioned how much corrosion prevention costs. The numbers are staggering.