Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corrosion resources

1. Apr 21, 2003 #1
    Hi all, I'm doing a project on socioeconomic implications of corrosion and prevention. Do you have any good websites where I can get information of this topic? It seems to me that it's kinda difficult to find relavent information from the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if I can help with this, but I will ask one question:

Corrosion of what, specifically?

Knowing that might help.

4. Apr 21, 2003 #3
    For example iron, and I want to get more information on socioeconomic implications rather than corrosion and preventions.

Thanks

5. Apr 24, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to kick this over to Other Sciences to see if it gets some more action there.

6. Apr 25, 2003 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can look at replacement costs for "infrastructure," roads, bridges, pipelines, sewer systems, dams, and the costs of catastrophic failures in such vs. maintenance. The service lives of merchant vessels vs. drydocking and rebuilding, undercoating auto bodies vs. rusting fenders falling off and filling the ditches of the Jersey tnpk, scheduled aircraft inspection and replacement of critical airframe components (particularly in marine or near marine service environments), galvanized steel vs. "un-" in farm storage buildings, warehouses, commercial structures, -----

7. Apr 29, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A materials science/engineering textbook would be a good resource. In one of my classes they mentioned how much corrosion prevention costs. The numbers are staggering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?