Corrupted files

• Thread starter amare
  • Start date
When the C drive gets limited in space, I take some space from the D drive and the audio files in D drive corrupted and can not open. How do I open these files?

If they are corrupted then you can’t.

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I take some space from the D drive
Does this mean that you partitioned your D: drive and added some space into C: drive? If it is so, you should have backed up your D: drive before partitioning. Although this type of corruption is not anticipated, backing up always keeps you safe. Now there are very less chances of recovering anything from the corrupted files, unless a professional takes it up.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Often, corrupted files is more a matter of losing the FAT (file allocation table). That means the data is still there, but the system doesn't know where to find it.

It is possible to take your drive to a shop where they will perform data recovery attempts on it, but expect to pay $700-$1500 for it - and no guarantees. You'll likely get some stuff back but not all.

Note: time is of the essence. If you continue to use your computer, it will be eating away at that data - overwriting it with new stuff every time you fire it up.