Troubleshooting Corrupted Audio Files When the C Drive is Low on Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of corrupted audio files on the D drive after adding space to the C drive. The expert advises that it is important to back up data before partitioning and that it may be possible to recover the corrupted files through professional data recovery services. However, these services can be expensive and there is no guarantee of full recovery. It is also noted that time is of the essence as continued use of the computer may overwrite the corrupted data.
amare
When the C drive gets limited in space, I take some space from the D drive and the audio files in D drive corrupted and can not open. How do I open these files?

Computer science news on Phys.org
amare said:
I take some space from the D drive
Does this mean that you partitioned your D: drive and added some space into C: drive? If it is so, you should have backed up your D: drive before partitioning. Although this type of corruption is not anticipated, backing up always keeps you safe. Now there are very less chances of recovering anything from the corrupted files, unless a professional takes it up.

Likes jedishrfu
Often, corrupted files is more a matter of losing the FAT (file allocation table). That means the data is still there, but the system doesn't know where to find it.

It is possible to take your drive to a shop where they will perform data recovery attempts on it, but expect to pay $700-$1500 for it - and no guarantees. You'll likely get some stuff back but not all.

Note: time is of the essence. If you continue to use your computer, it will be eating away at that data - overwriting it with new stuff every time you fire it up.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Why are my audio files getting corrupted?

When your C drive is low on space, it can cause issues with your computer's performance and storage. This can lead to corrupted audio files because there is not enough space to properly store and access the files.

2. How can I tell if my C drive is low on space?

You can check the available storage on your C drive by going to "My Computer" or "This PC" and right-clicking on the C drive. Then, click on "Properties" and you will see a graph showing the used and free space on your C drive.

3. Can I still fix the corrupted audio files even if my C drive is low on space?

Yes, it is possible to fix corrupted audio files even with low space on your C drive. However, it is important to free up some space on your C drive to prevent further issues in the future.

4. How can I free up space on my C drive?

You can free up space on your C drive by deleting unnecessary files, uninstalling unused programs, and using disk cleanup tools. You can also move large files to an external hard drive or cloud storage to free up more space.

5. Will moving my audio files to another drive prevent them from getting corrupted?

Moving your audio files to another drive can help prevent them from getting corrupted if the drive has more space and is in good condition. However, it is still important to regularly check and maintain your C drive to avoid any future issues.