Solving cos x = -x: What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter grapeape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the values of cos x on a calculator and its relationship to transcendental numbers and asymptotes. It is stated that the value of cos x is not a "nice" number and there are no asymptotes for the function y = x + cos x, as infinity is not considered in the domain of any function. It is also mentioned that the number in question is transcendental over \mathbb{Q}.
grapeape
This is only part of my question and I need the answer to continue, when does cos x = -x? on my calculator it is -.7390... isn't it supposed to be a nicer number ie pi over something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. I'm afraid that's as good as it gets.

does y = x + cos x have any asymptotes? (horizontal or vertical) Vertical = none, the limit as x approaches infinity is infinity? And for negative infinity its negative infinity? is that possible since infinity is not in the domain of cos? or are there also no horizontal?

Infinities not numbers. You don't generally consider infinity in the domain of any function. So yes, there are no horizontal asymptotes either.

I believe we can show that this number is transcendental over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex].

What is the meaning of solving cos x = -x?

Solving cos x = -x means finding the value or values of x that satisfy the equation. In other words, it is finding the values of x that make the cosine of x equal to the negative value of x.

Why is it important to solve cos x = -x?

Solving cos x = -x is important because it allows us to find the points of intersection between the graph of the cosine function and the line y = -x. These points have significant applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

What are the different methods for solving cos x = -x?

There are several methods for solving cos x = -x, including graphing, using the unit circle, and algebraic manipulation. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable depending on the context of the problem.

Can cos x = -x have more than one solution?

Yes, cos x = -x can have multiple solutions. This is because cosine is a periodic function, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. Therefore, there may be multiple values of x that satisfy the equation depending on the interval or domain specified.

How can solving cos x = -x be applied in real life?

The solutions to cos x = -x can be applied in real life situations such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the period of a periodic function, and solving real-world problems involving periodic motion or oscillations.