What is the Exact Solution to 0.739085?

• Thread starter Antiphon
  • Start date
In summary, The solution to the equation cos(x) = x can be expressed as a limit using the cosine function an infinite number of times. This is known as the Contraction Mapping Theorem and cannot be expressed exactly in terms of constants like pi, e, and phi.
Antiphon
The solution to this equation is approximately 0.739085.

Does anyone know how to express the solution exactly
in terms of contants like pi, e, phi, etc?

(phi = golden ratio = 1/2 + sqrt(5)/2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In all likelyhood it's impossible to do so in a simple way.

Sure it is.If "x" is a solution to the equation,then be can expressed as

[tex] x=\frac{x}{\pi e\varphi} \pi e\varphi [/tex]

Daniel.

You're right, of course. I took some license in my interpretation of his question. I'll be more precise:

It's very likely impossible to express the solution in terms of a finite number of products, extractions of roots, additions, exponentiations, and divisions of elements of the set [tex]\{e, \pi, \phi\} \cup \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

~

Last edited:
Let's tell Antiphon that not all transcendental numbers can be written using only [itex] e[/itex] and [itex] \pi [/itex] and the set of algebraic numbers...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Let's tell Antiphon that not all transcendental numbers can be written using only [itex] e[/itex] and [itex] \pi [/itex] and the set of algebraic numbers...

Daniel.

I suspected this, but I asked the question assuming it was possible.

So then you think it's impossible or you're not sure in this case?

Perhaps then I should assign it a greek letter!

The solution of the equation cos (x) = x can be given as applying the cosine function infinite nubmer of times to a starting point ..

x = cos cos cos ... cos (a)

In other words , the solution can be expressed as :

[tex]x = \lim _ { n \to \infty } \cos ^ { \circ n } ( a ) [/tex]

That came from the Contraction Mapping Theorem .

What is the exact solution to 0.739085?

The exact solution to 0.739085 is a decimal number that can be expressed as a fraction or a root.

Can the exact solution to 0.739085 be simplified?

Yes, the exact solution can be simplified by finding a common factor between the numerator and denominator of the fraction or by simplifying the root.

How can I find the exact solution to 0.739085?

The exact solution can be found by using a calculator or by solving the equation or problem that involves 0.739085.

Is the exact solution to 0.739085 a rational or irrational number?

The exact solution to 0.739085 can be either a rational or an irrational number, depending on its decimal representation.

Why is it important to find the exact solution to 0.739085?

Finding the exact solution to 0.739085 is important for accuracy and precision in mathematical calculations and for understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind the number.