1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cos²α+cos²β+cos²γ = 1

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1

RK7

On pg 6 of http://www.scribd.com/doc/3914281/Crystal-Structure, it quotes this result without proof. My notes from uni also quote this result but I can't see where it comes from. Does anyone know? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Re: cos²α+cos²β+cos²γ=1

It looks like the Pythagorean theorem applied in three dimensions.

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, it isn't true for just any angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]\gamma[/itex], of course! If, however, you draw a line through the origin of a three dimensional coordinate system, define [itex]\alpha[/itex] to be the angle the line makes with the x-axis, [itex]\beta[/itex] to be the angle the line makes with the y-axis, and [itex]\gamma[/itex] to be the angle the line makes with the z-axis, then this is true.

To see that, think of a vector of unit length in the direction of that line. If we drop a perpendicular from the tip of the vector to the x-axis, we have a right triangle in which an angle is [itex]\alpha[/itex] and the hypotenuse is 1, the length of the vector. Thus, the projection of the vector on the x-axis, and so the x-component of the vector is [itex]cos(\alpha)[/itex]. Similarly, the y-component of the vector is [itex]cos(\beta)[/itex] and the z-component of the vector is [itex]cos(\gamma)[/itex]. That is, [itex]cos^2(\alpha)+ cos^2(\beta)+ cos^2(\gamma)[/itex] is the square of the length of the vector which is, of course, 1.

By the way, look what happens if you do this in two dimensions. If you have a line in the plane through the origin making angles [itex]\alpha[/itex] with the x-axis and [itex]\beta[/itex] with the y- axis then [itex]\beta= \pi/2- \alpha[/itex] so [itex]cos^2(\alpha)+ cos^2(\beta)= cos^2(\alpha)+ cos^2(\pi/2- \alpha)= cos^2(\alpha)+ sin^2(\alpha)= 1[/itex].

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

RK7

That was embarrassing.. thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook