How many distinct H cosets are there?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of distinct cosets in a cyclic group of order n, where H is a subgroup generated by gm, with m dividing n. The conversation also considers when two different powers of g, gmk and gmk', are equivalent and how many different groups of k give the same result. The size of H is then determined by the number of these groups.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Consider the cyclic group Cn = <g> of order n and let H=<gm> where m|n.

How many distinct H cosets are there? Describe these cosets explicitly.

Homework Equations

Lagrange's Theorem: |G| = |H| x number of distinct H cosets

The Attempt at a Solution

|G| = n
I'm unsure if I have interpreted H correctly, I think it is the cyclic group generated by gm so contains gmk for integers k. I don't know how I can work out the order of H from this, or how to describe the cosets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fine so far. When will gmk=gmk' for different integers k, k'?

Would it be when k' is a multiple of k?

No. If you have a cyclic group (g) of order 20, and H=(g2) then the values g2x0, g2x1, g2x2, ... g2x9 will all be different, then you start again. Here m is 2 and k goes from 0 to 9, but for instance 1 divides each value of k, and 2 divides 4, but g2 is not the same as g4,g 6,g8 etc. and g2x2=g4 is not the same as g2x4=g8.

How would you get the powers of g in the equation gmk=gmk' to the same side of the equals sign? Then you can use gn=e.

Actually if you think about it, if gmk=gmk' were equivalent to k' is a multiple of k, it would also have to be equivalent to k is a multiple of k'.

This would mean the two values would be the same iff k=±k', but that would imply an infinite set ogf different values and there are only n.

Is it when k=n/m?

Well I think it's getting closer. Would that work with the example I gave? n/m in that instance would be 10. But where does k' come into it?

We want to know how many different values (gm)k runs through as k runs through all the integers. It can be at most n, but will it be all n? Would (g2)k give all 20 values in the example. Would you get g5 for some k for instance?

The idea of trying to find when two different k give the same result is that you would probably then see how many different groups of k give the same result. The size of H is then the number of groups. But if you look at the example carefully the result will probably become pretty obvious.

What for instance would be the next value of k in the example such that (g2)k=(g2)3?

1. What is a coset in group theory?

A coset is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying every element of a subgroup by a fixed element of the group. It is denoted by the notation aH, where a is the fixed element and H is the subgroup.

2. How are cosets related to cyclic groups?

Cosets are closely related to cyclic groups, as every cyclic group contains a unique subgroup that is generated by a single element. This subgroup is also known as the cyclic subgroup, and the cosets of this subgroup are also cyclic. In fact, all cosets of a cyclic subgroup are equal to the entire cyclic group.

3. Can a coset be a subgroup of the original group?

Yes, a coset can be a subgroup of the original group. In fact, every coset is a subgroup of the group, and the subgroup that is generated by the coset is isomorphic to the original subgroup.

4. How do you determine the order of a coset?

The order of a coset is equal to the order of the subgroup that is being multiplied by the fixed element. In other words, the number of elements in the coset is equal to the number of elements in the subgroup.

5. Are cosets always disjoint?

No, cosets are not always disjoint. If the subgroup is not a normal subgroup, then the cosets may overlap. However, if the subgroup is a normal subgroup, then the cosets will be disjoint and will form a partition of the original group.