1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosets in rings?

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    Does cosets exist in rings?

i.e R = Ring, a in R

set {a*R}

or

set {a+R}

The above two sets looks very similar to cosets in groups but there are two operations in rings so potentially two different cosets both involving the same ring R and element a. If the above two sets are not cosets than what are they called?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The former is the right ideal generated by R, the latter is the right coset of a in R (and since addition is commutative, the left coset).

I is a right ideal if Ix is in x for all x in R. Clearly aR is a right ideal. Similarly Ra is a left ideal, and RaR is an ideal (that is a two sided ideal).

4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    In this case aR is also a left ideal? Because x(aR) with x and a in R means xa is in R. (xa)R is a subset of R.

Similarly Ra is also a right ideal.

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

No, because (xa)R is not necessarily a subset of aR.

6. Mar 4, 2007 #5
    Good point. In fact x(Ra)=Ra, for x and a in R which is the ring.

7. Mar 4, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, a + R is a rather boring coset, since a + R = R. a + I is more interesting, for ideals I.

8. Mar 4, 2007 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. x(Ra) is a subset of Ra. It is most definitely not equal to it in general (x=0, for instance).

9. Mar 4, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doh. Can't believe I missed this. Elements don't have cosets, sugroups/ideals, have cosets

10. Mar 4, 2007 #9
    Ra gives R. xR gives R again. so x(Ra)=xR=R=Ra. In this way x(Ra)=Ra. I agree that it is quite boring but at least it's correct? You think not Matt? R is the ring and a and x are elements in R. All elements in R are closed under multiplication.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  11. Mar 4, 2007 #10

StatusX

Homework Helper

Closure under multiplication means xR is a subset of R. To get the other inclusion, you need the existence of inverses. Thus x+R=R, or xR=R when x is a unit, but in general this isn't true. If the example x=0 isn't enough to convince yourself that xR is not always R, you need to go back to the definitions.

12. Mar 6, 2007 #11
    I should have said x must be non zero.

If x is a unit then x cannot be a zero divisor. This latter point is the important thing because if x was a zero divisor than some non zero entities in R may not be produced from xR. If x is not a zero divisor and is not a unit than xR=R if R does not contain the multiplicative identity, 1?

x+R=R will work all the time with x in R wouldn't it? Without any limitations on x?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  13. Mar 6, 2007 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

zero or not zero, I don't see what this has to do with anything. Rx is still an ideal

No, clearly this is false. (Incidentally, if R doesn't have a 1 then it can't have units). If you just remembered that the integers are a ring you'd have a lot more insight into the general situation; what is 2Z? It is ring without 1, call it R. What about the ideal 4Z inside 2Z, it is the ideal 2R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?