1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine Fourier transform

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the cosine Fourier transform of the function f(t)=e-at

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

F(w)=(2/π)0.5∫dt e-atcos(wt)
    The integral is from 0 to +∞

Using euler's formula I got the result

F(w)=(2/π)0.5( eit(w-a)/i(w-a) - e-it(w+a)/i(w+a) )

I don't know what to do from here... I can't just substitute!
    If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need a common denominator don't you?
    If I understand you correctly - you converted the cosine in the integral into a sum of exponentials, then did the integration?

That would give you something like:
    $$e^{-at}\cos(wt)=\frac{1}{2} e^{-at}\left ( e^{iwt}+e^{-iwt} \right ) = \frac{1}{2}\left (e^{(iw-a)t}+e^{-(iw+a)t}\right )$$ ...in the integrand - which does not look like it ends up looking like yours. Can you show the intermediate steps in your working?

Alternatively:
    You could try using integration by parts instead (hint: twice).

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    You're correct. I made a mistake! The actual result is:

[itex]{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2π}}\left[\frac{exp(t(iw-a))}{iw-a}-\frac{exp(-t(iw+a))}{iw+a}\right]}[/itex]

The problem remains tho... I don't know what to do from here, since I'm integrating from 0 to ∞ !

5. Dec 27, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Applying the limits - ##t=0## case is easy. It is ##t\rightarrow \infty## in the first term that gives you the problem?

To procede from here you need to convert the exponentials back into cosine and sine functions ... think in terms of a product of and exponential and trig functions.

I still think it is easier to just follow the hint in post #2.

6. Dec 27, 2012 #5
    I tought about using your hint, but I'd end up with cosine and sine functions, and neither of them converge to a value as x goes to infinity! That's why I avoided using it!

7. Dec 27, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there is probably an unstated assumption that a>0. So your trig functions don't converge but they are bounded. e^(-at) goes to zero as t->infinity. What happens?

8. Dec 28, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks Dick - yes: that would be a problem if the trig functions were not multiplied by a decreasing exponential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook