1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine IND limit

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    It's the following one:

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}}{\frac{1-\cos(1-\cos x)}{3x^4}}[/tex]

In case we have to apply L'Hospital, appart from it, how could I solve this without it?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use the Taylor series expansion of cos(x) around x=0.

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    Mmm I haven't learnt Taylor series expansions yet. So anyway, could you tell me how to apply L'Hospital here? There are a lot of steps! I keep getting indeterminations. I cannot figure it out yet...
    Thanks for the reply :)

5. Mar 17, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't have Taylor series yet, then you'll probably want to stick with l'Hopital. But the idea is to use cos(x)=1-x^2/2!+ terms of higher order in x. It does make things easier.

6. Mar 17, 2012 #5
    Sorry but I didn't understand the idea.. could you explain the first steps of the resolution? I keep getting IND 0/0 -- I know I've got to apply l'Hopitale every time I get the indtermination but there're just too many.. it never ends.

7. Mar 17, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

l'Hopital will end at the fourth derivative. It has to. Then the denominator becomes a constant. It is a little hard to keep track of the numerator, I will admit.

8. Mar 17, 2012 #7
    Yo just plug that mofo numerator equation into WolframAlpha:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=fourth+derivative+of+1-cos(1-cosx)

I agree, it's a nasty numerator, but you can just plug in x = 0 now. Looking at it real quick, and it's looks like the numerator at 0 equals 3, so the limit is 3.

Edit: Oh wait, the limit wouldn't be 3, it would 3/(3*4*3*2*1) = 1/24

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook