1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine Law Query?

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    My online physics course is using cosine law to find the net forces on objects. My question is to do with the equation, at first it shows it as : c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab cosC.

From there, it changes to: c=[a^2+b^2-2ab cosC]^1/2.

How and why does this work? Why isn't a square root involved in the operation?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2
    The notation ##x^{1/2}## is just another notation for ##\sqrt{x}##. Was that your question?

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    Yes, thank you! I see now, it seemed like I was getting the wrong answer when I was doing the original equation, so I thought something else was at play here.

Is there any reason why one would prefer writing the equation this way? I just don't get why my textbook would switch the equation when trying ton present new information.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi paolostinz! :smile:
    you mean, writing c instead of c2 ?

or writing (…)1/2 instead of √(…) ?

we usually want c itself, so the fact that it comes from an equation with c2 is a nuisance

(…)n is the general way of writing powers: there's no really good reason for having a special symbol when n = 1/2, and the bar of √, which should really go over the top of the bracket, is a nuisance when the bracket is long :wink:

6. Nov 29, 2013 #5
    See, that makes sense, it's the little things like this that confuse me most. I wish I had better access to teachers to clear up these type of hiccups. I'm so grateful for this place, thank you everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted