1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine Law

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    This is more of a general question, than it is a homework problem.

If I have a triangle, angles A, B, and C, and corresponding sides a, b, and c, and I want to solve for any one side I understand we use the law of cosines. So far I have been able to derive two of the formulae by dropping a vertical line to divide side b into two parts, x, and b-x. Sides a and c form the hypotenuses of the two right triangles formed by dividing b.

Doing a little algebraic magic, I get:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A and
    c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C

I am hung up on how to do this for side b and angle B. Side b does not form the hypotenuse of right triangle, and so I'm confused as to how to go about this. Anyone have a pointer?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Adding a picture of the type of triangle you've drawn would help a great deal. On a side note do you know what a dot product is and how to add up vectors, because if you do there is a very easy way to derive the cosine rule.

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    OK, I whipped up a picture in paint. Sorry for its crudeness. As far as dot products and vectors, well, I haven't gotten there yet. I know of them is the most cursory way. I know what a vector is, but I don't know the math.

Attached Files:

5. May 10, 2009 #4
    can't you just draw an altitude to either side a or c?

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    [tex]b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2ac(cos B)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook