1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine rule and operands > 1

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As part of a Mechanics problem, I need to find the resultant of two forces. I was able to find F[Resultant]'s magnitude easily enough, but it's direction stumps me.

...because when I rearrange the Cosine rule to find angle A, the operand of Arccos is greater than 1.

2. Relevant equations

See attachment

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea :confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Then you have erred in your calculations.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #3
    Turns out my calculations were fine, I just forgot the Cosine rule was only of use when A is opposite the longest side in any given triangle.

I just needed to use regular Sine Rule to find the missing angle.

Problem solved.

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Incorrect, wherever have you gotten that strange idea from?

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5
    This posting: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1226780&postcount=3

And if my calculations are wrong, where? Just saying I'm wrong without further detail isn't helping. (Or isn't my attachment showing?)

7. Feb 3, 2007 #6

mjsd

Homework Helper

yes largest angle is always opposite the longest side (common sense) BUT that doesn't mean you can only use cosine rule on that angle.
    just reading the maths it is very hard for me to deduce what does your force diag looks like and what are you trying to solve...but just looking at the cosine rule it seems wrong (normal symbol usage assumed) should be
    [tex]a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc \cos A[/tex] where A is angle opposite side a.

8. Feb 5, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are actually three "cosine rules" for any triangle.
    [tex]a^2= b^2+ c^2- 2bc cos(A)[/tex]
    [tex]b^2= a^2+ c^2- 2ac cos(B)[/tex]
    [tex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos(C)[/tex]
    Whate a is the length of the side opposite angle A, b is the length of the side opposite angle B, and c is the length of the side opposite angle C.

Your original formula was [itex]a^2= b^2+ c^2- 2ab cos(C)[/itex], none of the above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?