What is the Cosine Rule for Triangles with Operands Greater Than 1?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the resultant of two forces in a Mechanics problem. One person was able to find the magnitude but struggled with finding the direction using the Cosine rule. Another person corrected their mistake and explained that the Cosine rule can be used on any angle, not just the longest side. The conversation also mentioned the three different forms of the Cosine rule for triangles.
W3bbo

Homework Statement

As part of a Mechanics problem, I need to find the resultant of two forces. I was able to find F[Resultant]'s magnitude easily enough, but it's direction stumps me.

...because when I rearrange the Cosine rule to find angle A, the operand of Arccos is greater than 1.

Homework Equations

See attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea :confused:

Attachments

• CosineProblem.gif
    CosineProblem.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Then you have erred in your calculations.

arildno said:
Then you have erred in your calculations.

Turns out my calculations were fine, I just forgot the Cosine rule was only of use when A is opposite the longest side in any given triangle.

I just needed to use regular Sine Rule to find the missing angle.

Problem solved.

W3bbo said:
Turns out my calculations were fine, I just forgot the Cosine rule was only of use when A is opposite the longest side in any given triangle.

Incorrect, wherever have you gotten that strange idea from?

yes largest angle is always opposite the longest side (common sense) BUT that doesn't mean you can only use cosine rule on that angle.
just reading the maths it is very hard for me to deduce what does your force diag looks like and what are you trying to solve...but just looking at the cosine rule it seems wrong (normal symbol usage assumed) should be
[tex]a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc \cos A[/tex] where A is angle opposite side a.

There are actually three "cosine rules" for any triangle.
[tex]a^2= b^2+ c^2- 2bc cos(A)[/tex]
[tex]b^2= a^2+ c^2- 2ac cos(B)[/tex]
[tex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos(C)[/tex]
Whate a is the length of the side opposite angle A, b is the length of the side opposite angle B, and c is the length of the side opposite angle C.

Your original formula was [itex]a^2= b^2+ c^2- 2ab cos(C)[/itex], none of the above.

What is the Cosine Rule?

The Cosine Rule, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a trigonometric formula used to find the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a triangle when two sides and their included angle are known.

How is the Cosine Rule different from the Sine Rule?

The Cosine Rule is used when two sides and their included angle are known, while the Sine Rule is used when two angles and a side opposite one of the angles are known.

Can the Cosine Rule be used for any triangle?

Yes, the Cosine Rule can be used for any triangle, regardless of whether it is acute, right, or obtuse.

Can the Cosine Rule be used for operands greater than 1?

Yes, the Cosine Rule can be used for operands greater than 1. In fact, it is commonly used in higher level mathematics and physics, such as in vector calculations.

How is the Cosine Rule derived?

The Cosine Rule is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem and the Law of Cosines in a right triangle. It can also be derived using the Law of Cosines in a general triangle and manipulating the formula algebraically.