Cosine Theta in Work: Force Angle Relation

In summary, the cosine of theta in the work equation relates to the angle between the force and displacement vectors. It can be understood through examples and the dot product. Work can be positive or negative depending on the direction of energy transfer. The angle between the vectors must be determined correctly, either through trigonometry or vector notation, to accurately calculate the work.
Bashyboy
Hello, I was wondering if the cosine of theta, in the work equation, related to the angle of the applied force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello, I was wondering if the cosine of theta, in the work equation, related to the angle of the applied force?
The angle theta is the angle between the force and the displacement. Examples: If they are in the same direction, the angle is 0 and the cosine is 1; If they are opposite, the angle is 180 degrees and the cosine is -1.

If you understand dot products then I find it easier to understand that form of the equation for work. That way you understand why there is a cosine in the expression and what angle they are referring to.

"It is important to note that work is an energy transfer; if energy is transferred to the system (object),W is positive; if energy is transferred from the system, W is negative."

I understand the transfer of energy to a system (object), but what about the transfer of energy from a system? Could someone give me an example. Thank you

Bashyboy said:
I understand the transfer of energy to a system (object), but what about the transfer of energy from a system? Could someone give me an example.
Imagine a block sliding along a surface. There is friction slowing it down. The work done by friction on the object is negative, since the displacement and the force are in opposite direction. Since the work is negative, energy is being removed from the car. The kinetic energy of the car is being transformed into thermal energy via the friction.

Ive seen this relation cos(theta+90) in Work problems. I've seen two examples that show a perpendicular force (like the force of gravity) and the object is moving at an angle theta. can someone explain this relation?

Well you want the force and distance to be on the same axis of movement. Thats where the cosine comes from because it would give you the vector's component that you want.

If i understand you completely then you have theta being the angle between the vector and ground rather than between the two vectors. If so then you'd want the vertical component of the displacement vector. In this case that would be equal to sin (theta) which is the same as cos( theta + 90).

Chunkysalsa: Its like having the displacement vector at an angle theta being protected on the force vector?

sin(theta) does not always equal cos(theta+90). Depends on theta.

Last edited:
I do not know if this is right or if it will help the discussion between you to, but I believe that cosine theta, like all you have been saying, is the angle between the two vectors. But I think I have figured it out: the force component moves along the angle of inclination. (Is that right?)

Bashyboy: The problem say that and object of mass m is moving at a 45 degree angle and the force acting on it is the force of gravity. Find the work.

W=mg*d*cos45 <---this is what i understand, because the angle between them is 45 but is wrong!

W=mg*d*cos(45+90)<--- this is what is correct and i can't figure out were does de +90 comes from.

Theta is the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. The angle give is the angle between the x-axis and the displacement vector.

The rest is simple trigonometry. You want the component of displacement in the y-axis. However since gravity pushes down and the displacement is upward, the work should be negative. So the answer should be mgd sin (-45). Using some trig identities you could also write that as either -mgdsin (45) or as you said mgd cos (45 +90).

Sorry I made a mistake earlier. It helps if you draw out the problem, you'll see the answer clear as day.

You could also solve it using vector notation. Fg = -mgj, D = .71di + .71dj. Then the work is -.71mgd by taking the dot product. [.71 = sin/cos (45)]

boyongo said:
Bashyboy: The problem say that and object of mass m is moving at a 45 degree angle and the force acting on it is the force of gravity. Find the work.
You need the angle between the force and the displacement vectors. The force is gravity, which acts down and thus 90 degrees below the x-axis. The displacement is at a 45 degree angle above the x-axis. What's the angle between those vectors? (It's not 45 degrees!)

Chunkysalsa: Thank you very much. I was able to solve it. I kind of got to understand via using sin(-45). But i understood it completely using the vector notation.

Doc Al: Thank you as well. You made me see the big and obvious picture!

1. What is Cosine Theta in work?

Cosine Theta in work is a mathematical term used to describe the relationship between the force applied to an object and the angle at which the force is applied. It is represented by the equation W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done on the object, F is the force applied, d is the distance the object moves, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

2. How is Cosine Theta related to work?

Cosine Theta is directly related to the amount of work done on an object. The value of Cosine Theta determines the proportion of the applied force that is contributing to the work done. A Cosine Theta of 1 means that the force is applied in the same direction as the motion, resulting in maximum work done. A Cosine Theta of 0 means that the force is applied perpendicular to the motion, resulting in no work done.

3. Why is Cosine Theta important?

Cosine Theta is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting work done. It allows us to calculate the amount of work done on an object in different situations, such as when the force is not applied in the same direction as the motion.

4. How does the value of Cosine Theta affect the amount of work done?

The value of Cosine Theta directly affects the amount of work done on an object. As the value of Cosine Theta increases, the amount of work done also increases, until it reaches a maximum value when Cosine Theta is 1. On the other hand, as the value of Cosine Theta decreases, the amount of work done decreases as well, until it reaches 0 when Cosine Theta is 0.

5. Can Cosine Theta be negative?

Yes, Cosine Theta can be negative. This happens when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the motion, resulting in negative work done. In this case, the work done is actually taking energy away from the object instead of adding it.