Cosmic collision in 2012?

1. I have been hearing rumors about this cosmic object, a planet/planetoid or some kind of meteor that supposed to collide with Earth in December of the year 2012 A.D, and utterly obliterate it and absolutely all it's inhabitants. Go google or youtube "Nibiru", and you will understand what I am saying. This conspiracy has really been unnerving for me, if you are a scientist, or a scientific professional especially in the area of astronomy, could you perhaps bebunk the Nibiru or "planet X" conspiracy for me to make me less frightened and stressed out?

I don't know the whole story, but alledgedly there is a tenth planet that makes an extremely close approach to Earth's orbit every few dozen thousand years or so, but this time (according to the Mayan callender long count and conspiracy theorists) it is either going to directly collide with earth, or make an approach that is so close, it could alter Earth's orbit.

Is there any real scientific evidence to back up this conspiracy? Or is it just a false conspiracy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,239
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is complete crackpottery. Pay it no mind.
  4. From the awesome site
  5. I can understand with the reference of Nostradamus prediction, you might be tempted to think that there will be a collision, No one can predict what this universe going to react, I do not think a collision will happen in 2012 it might be in 20012.
  6. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,336
    Gold Member

Absolutely none.

It is complete and utter woo-wooism.
  7. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 6,949
    Gold Member

Necropost victims.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?