1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic Inventory

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One of our homework problems asks us to state the density of Baryons, Cold Dark Matter, Radiation, Dark Energy, and the total density of the universe in terms of the critical density today. It also states to give the density of each quantity in dimensionless Omega units (the density parameter).
    It finishes by saying that there are multiple ways of determining some of these values, and we have to list two of them and identify the measurement that makes the tightest constraint.
    2. Relevant equations
    We weren't given any, but I'm guessing this is one:

de942db43c051ab02a37190a45405171.png
    and 7215e34146072041c98e6a266ba1ee4e.png
    I would imagine values found on the internet (from trustworthy sources) would count as well.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly have no idea where to begin. If I at least had a starting point I might be able to do the actual problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You could start by checking the terms on wikipedia and see what stats you can find and how they are determined.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    Unfortunately no matter where I go on the internet (wikipedia included), I can't seem to find any values or calculations for the values :/

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

The article gives you percentages and you can find the size of the known universe somewhere and perhaps the total mass.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

The Cosmic Energy Inventory
    First google hit for me if I look for "Cosmic Inventory".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted