Cosmic Neutrino Background

• Thread starter Orion1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrino
In summary: In any case, the peak temperature of the cosmic neutrino background is estimated to be around a few MeV, which corresponds to the temperature of the universe at around 1 second after the Big Bang. In summary, the cosmic neutrino background was 'transparent' to neutrinos when the temperature of the universe was a few MeV, which occurred around 1 second after the Big Bang. The first neutrinos were likely produced through various nuclear reactions involving leptons and quarks, and the peak temperature of the cosmic neutrino background is estimated to be a few MeV.
Orion1
Cosmic Neutrino Background...

What was the temperature and age of the Universe, when it became 'transparent' to cosmic neutrinos?

From what type of nuclear reaction did cosmic neutrinos originate?

What is the peak temperature of cosmic neutrinos?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Orion1 said:

What was the temperature and age of the Universe, when it became 'transparent' to cosmic neutrinos?

About a few MeV, if you use units of energy for temperature. Below this temperature, neutrinos "de-couple" from the rest of the cosmic soup, though they still react with neutrons and protons, and so still affect nucleosynthesis.

Orion1 said:

From what type of nuclear reaction did cosmic neutrinos originate?

Originate I'm not sure, if you mean how the very first neutrinos were produced. In fact nobody knows the answer to such questions, for any type of particle; we just know that at high T we ought to have a soup consisting of all particles that exist.

But as for reactions involving neutrinos, there are for example things like

[tex]\nu_i + \bar\nu_i \leftrightarrow \bar{l}_i + l_i[/tex]
[tex]\nu_i + l_i \leftrightarrow \nu_i + l_i[/tex]
[tex]\nu_i + \bar\nu_i \leftrightarrow \nu_j + \bar\nu_j[/tex]

where [tex]l_i[/tex] denotes the ith flavor lepton (e,muon,tau). There are also analogous reactions between neutrinos and quarks.

Orion1 said:

What is the peak temperature of cosmic neutrinos?

The temperature of the universe is a monotonically decreasing function of time, so I'm not sure if it makes sense to ask what the maximum T of neutrinos are.

Last edited:

1. What is the Cosmic Neutrino Background?

The Cosmic Neutrino Background (CNB) is a theoretical concept that describes a sea of low-energy neutrinos that permeate the entire universe. These neutrinos are thought to have originated from the early stages of the universe, shortly after the Big Bang.

2. How were the Cosmic Neutrino Background neutrinos created?

The CNB neutrinos were created in the first few seconds after the Big Bang, during a period known as the "Big Bang Nucleosynthesis." During this time, the high-energy particles present in the early universe collided and produced a large number of neutrinos. These neutrinos have since cooled down and now exist as part of the CNB.

3. Why is the Cosmic Neutrino Background important to study?

Studying the CNB can provide valuable insights into the early universe and its evolution. It can also help us better understand the properties of neutrinos, which are some of the most elusive and abundant particles in the universe. Additionally, the CNB can provide evidence for the Big Bang theory and support our understanding of the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists detect the Cosmic Neutrino Background?

Currently, there are no direct methods for detecting the CNB. However, scientists can indirectly study the CNB through high-energy particle collisions and experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists also use data from the cosmic microwave background to make predictions and observations about the CNB.

5. Are there any practical applications for studying the Cosmic Neutrino Background?

While there are no direct practical applications for studying the CNB, the information gathered from studying this phenomenon can potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe and particle physics. This knowledge can also contribute to technology development and innovations in areas such as energy and space exploration.