Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic particles result in lightning

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    i recently read and article say 2 months ago in the ottawa sun but my memory is fuzzy and i did not get to finish the article
    im not sure if this has been discussed on here or not and if this is the correst palce to post this but
    a sceintest was claiming that our understanding of that we wer taught in school was incorrect and that lightin was caused by cosmic particles or solar flares sumting fo that nature slamming into thunderclouds, i havnt been able to find the article again, if any one has any information or opinions on this theroy let me know because it really cought my attention
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
  4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    damnit i dont have a subscription o well

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

There was also an article about it in Scientific American a few months ago. Your local library or college might have a copy.

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5
    You can do a google for "sprites", this is what mega-lightning has been called,here is a link that has some interesting aspects to the phenonema:
    http://www.holoscience.com/news/balloon.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?