1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic ray fluxes?

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    Hi!

I know these cosmic ray flux rates on Earth:
    10^{16} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square meter per year.
    10^{19} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square kilometer per year.
    10^{20} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square kilometer per century.

What are the flux rates of
    a) 10^{17} eV showers?
    b) 10^{18} eV showers?
    a) 10^{21} eV showers?

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2
    Hello! Anyone out there?

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    Look up the review article by Simpson entitled "Elemental and Isotopic Composition of Galactic Cosmic Rays" Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 1983, 33 (323-81)

or the book by TK Gaisser "Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics."

I just don't have time to search through them and convert them to the units you are interested in.

5. Feb 6, 2007 #4
    Ok. Thanks!

6. Feb 6, 2007 #5
    Can someone send me this? I do not have access, although I use the Jyväskylä University internet connection.

My email address is henri(dot)heinonen(at)mbnet(dot)fi.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  7. Feb 6, 2007 #6
    Your library has a copy of the journal. (you can find it here:Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science) I don't speak whatever language that is (Finnish?) but that is the correct journal as far as I can tell.

Go to library and ask for the correct volume and they will find it for you I am sure. Your library probably doesn't have a electronic subscription.

(Note: In general it is not a good idea to ask people to send you copyrighted material over the internet.)

8. Feb 7, 2007 #7
    Yes, that is Finnish.

Ok. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?