Calculating Earth's Total Electric Current from Cosmic Ray Protons

In summary, Earth's atmosphere is constantly bombarded by cosmic ray protons at a rate of 1500 protons per second per square meter. To determine the electric current intercepted by the entire planet's surface, the rate of protons per second can be converted to charge per second using the charge of a proton (1.60217646 × 10-19 C). This results in an electric current of 2.40326469 × 10-16 Amps.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Cosmic Ray Protons

Homework Statement

Earth's atmosphere is constantly being bombarded with cosmic ray protons that originate somewhere in space. If the protons all pass through the atmosphere, each square meter of Earth's surface would intercept protons at at the average rate of 1500 protons per second. What would be the electric current intercepted by the total surface area of the entire planet?

Homework Equations

Surface Area of sphere=4*pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I don't even understand what this question is asking.
It wants to know the total # of protons the surface will intercept. I get that. But then it gives a rate protons per second, but does not give a tine interval.

I am lost on this one :/

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is the rate at which charge is intercepted, which is given. (What's the definition of current?)

From how I am understanding it. Current is defined as flow of charge (charge/time). So if they are asking for current it would be on a per unit time basis. I think the main part of the problem is how to convert protons/sec into charge/sec.

BishopUser said:
I think the main part of the problem is how to convert protons/sec into charge/sec.

Why would that be a problem? Does mankind not know the charge of a proton yet?

Doc Al said:
All you need is the rate at which charge is intercepted, which is given. (What's the definition of current?)

All I can find for a definition of current is [itex]i=\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] where i is in ampheres and dq is in Coulomb's. . . hmmm. So I would need to convert [itex]1500*4\pi R_{earth}^2[/itex] into Coulombs?

Shooting star said:
Why would that be a problem? Does mankind not know the charge of a proton yet?

uhh mankind does, but maybe some students don't (as witnessed by this thread)?

Saladsamurai said:
All I can find for a definition of current is [itex]i=\frac{dq}{dt}[/itex] where i is in ampheres and dq is in Coulomb's. . . hmmm. So I would need to convert [itex]1500*4\pi R_{earth}^2[/itex] into Coulombs?
You're on the right track. [itex]1500*4\pi R_{earth}^2[/itex] gives you protons per second. What's the charge of a proton? The current would be in Coulombs/second or Amps.

Doc Al said:
You're on the right track. The current would be in Coulombs/second or Amps. What's the charge of a proton?

Isn't it just 1e? I don't follow. . . or are you going to follow that question with "now how many e are in one Coulomb" . . . cause if you are, I would have to say 6.25(10^18) and then I would have to do a simple chain conversion and get the right answer!

Thanks,
Casey

Now someone please help me with my trig before I burn down this town! J/K, but seriously please someone check out my finding the angle thread.

I would have said: What's the proton charge in Coulombs? e = 1.60217646 × 10-19 C. (But same difference.)

BishopUser said:
uhh mankind does, but maybe some students don't (as witnessed by this thread)?

Point taken (somewhat) :smile:. I am sure that the student knew the charge of a proton. The problem lied in correlating the number/sec and the corresponding charge/sec.

As Doc mentioned, you're on the right track.

If N particles/sec, each of charge e+, pass some point, the current I = Ne.

Doc Al said:
I would have said: What's the proton charge in Coulombs? e = 1.60217646 × 10-19 C. (But same difference.)

Yeah. I did too many extracurricular activities in my late-teens/ early twenties. . . I cannot afford to memorize all these conversions, so I just memorize one and derive the others from it!:rofl:

What are cosmic ray protons?

Cosmic ray protons are high energy particles that originate from outside of our solar system and travel through space at nearly the speed of light.

Where do cosmic ray protons come from?

Cosmic ray protons can come from a variety of sources, including supernovae explosions, black holes, and high-energy events in distant galaxies.

What effects do cosmic ray protons have on Earth?

Cosmic ray protons can have a variety of effects on Earth, including causing disruptions in electronic devices and potentially affecting the Earth's climate.

How are cosmic ray protons detected?

Cosmic ray protons can be detected using specialized instruments, such as particle detectors on satellites and ground-based telescopes.

What is the importance of studying cosmic ray protons?

Studying cosmic ray protons can help us better understand the universe and the processes that occur within it. It can also provide insights into the origins and evolution of our solar system and Earth.