Cosmic rays and the EM Spectrum

In summary, cosmic rays are particles (protons, nuclei, electrons, positrons) that are considered part of the electromagnetic spectrum in older editions of the World Book Encylopedia and in Capras famous book "The Tao of Physics". However, in more recent editions and in highly technical astronomy books, there is debate over whether cosmic rays are radiation or particles. They have also been found to come from sources beyond our galaxy. High energy gammas are also considered cosmic rays and can be distinguished from particles. VHE cosmic ray (gamma) telescopes, such as CANGAROO, HESSI, and VERITAS, are used to study them.
RAD4921
In the 1969 edition of the World Book Encylopedia it shows that cosmic rays are considered part of the electromagnetic spectrum. In later editions the diagram doesn't show cosmic rays is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. In Capras famous book "The Tao of Physics, he also shows that cosmic rays are part of the EM-S. In other articles it states that cosmic rays were found to be atomic nuclei (in 1928) traveling close to the speed of light. I looked in a highly technical astronomy books and from what little I could decipher from the techno garble that cosmic rays fall into a gray area as far as whether they are radiation or particles. Richard Feynman once included cosmic rays as part of the EM-S in a video tape I saw of him. What gives? Are cosmic rays particles or radiation or possible both?
Thanks, RAD

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both. Cosmic rays - particles - are protons and nuclei (e.g. He4); also electrons and positrons ... the term is usually shorthand for 'galactic cosmic rays', not 'solar cosmic rays'. Despite the former's name, some CRs clearly come from well beyond the Milky Way.

High energy gammas are also 'cosmic rays', though they can be distinguished from particles by various techniques, hence VHE cosmic ray (gamma) 'telescopes' such as CANGAROO, HESSI, VERITAS. http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/dick/cos_encyc.html gives a brief overview of the particle CRs; http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/astrophysics/cr_new.html is a brief summary of UHEs; CANGAROO

Last edited by a moderator:
To: Nereid

Thank you for taking the time and care in answering my question. Now I know why I was confused about this. RAD:)

What are cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that originate from sources outside of our solar system, such as supernovae explosions or black holes. They consist of protons, electrons, and atomic nuclei that travel through space at nearly the speed of light.

How are cosmic rays different from other forms of radiation?

Cosmic rays are distinct from other forms of radiation, such as UV rays or X-rays, because they have much higher energy levels and can penetrate through most materials. They are also not affected by magnetic fields, making it difficult to shield against them.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. It is a way to categorize different types of radiation based on their wavelengths and frequencies.

How do cosmic rays interact with the Earth's atmosphere?

When cosmic rays enter the Earth's atmosphere, they collide with gas molecules, producing secondary particles. These particles can then interact with other molecules, producing a cascade effect that results in a shower of particles reaching the Earth's surface.

What is the significance of studying cosmic rays and the EM spectrum?

Studying cosmic rays and the EM spectrum can provide valuable insights into the universe and its origins. It can also help us understand the effects of high-energy radiation on living organisms and technological systems, as well as improve our understanding of space weather and its impact on Earth.