Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic rays

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    do they have any role on evolution?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you elaborate? In what way do you think they would or could? Would they exert any selection pressure on life on Earth?
  4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    They're mutagenic, so I'd say yes, definitely.
  5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Source of variation for sure. Selection? Dunno, but there are bacteria that can thrive in radiation 10,000 times as strong as what would kill half the humans exposed to it. And there are no such sources known in nature on Earth at present, so maybe.
  6. Mar 21, 2006 #5
    To expand on pattylou's comment:

Cosmic rays are ionising radiation. They will ionise water molecules, which in turn will generate free radicals. The free radicals, in turn, can damage DNA by
    a) breaking the backbone of the helix
    b) modifying bases
    c) removing bases

Clearly, then, cosmic rays have contributed to the generation of mutations, some of which will have been beneficial and will have produced a fitter organism. I suspect that the overall contribution of cosmic rays in generating useful mutations is small.

I am not sure if selfAdjoint is heading there, but the radiation resistance of many bacteria has been used as evidence for pan spermia.
  7. Mar 21, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly which cosmic rays fall into that catagory?
  8. Mar 22, 2006 #7

Cosmic rays are composed of mostly ionized nuclei, ~87% protons, ~12% alpha particles, in addition to electrons, neutrinos, and gamma rays.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?