Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Cosmic shear

1. Dec 16, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Apparently, since all of that has been known for some time and still dark matter is not 100% guaranteed to not be MOND. I thought the Bullet Cluster was enough evidence against MOND but more knowledgeable folk than me think otherwise.

4. Dec 16, 2016 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It turns out that when you only have one general class of evidence for a model (in this case, gravitational interactions), it's remarkably difficult to completely rule out alternative explanations. My understanding is that alternatives to dark matter are not very well-motivated by theory and tend to be much more complicated than many WIMP models. It also turns out to be much harder to get a modified gravity theory to work well with CMB, galaxy clusters, and galaxies using the same parameters (MOND has always had difficulty fitting CMB and cluster data).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted